Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine Start button from S2000

The Don

I'm considering adding a starter button like this one on eBay here

Not being particularly technically competeant I'm attracted by the apparent ease of fitting *confused*

Anyone see any problems with this one, or should I go for the BRSB commonly seen on here?

Thanks,

Howard

That's the same as my Maplin BRSB except for the print on the front. Assuming your car is a K, it takes 10 mins to fit a Maplin one if you have a crimping tool and a spare length of cable. Longest job was drilling the hole in the dash.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

Tom,

Thanks - my car's a Vx 2.0 if that makes a difference?

Is your button this one here?

I don't have a crimping tool, but for a one-off (and appreciating the FAQ says that cheap ones are a false economy) can I get way with the £5.99 Maplin tool? Can't see me using it again *tongue*

Thanks,

Howard

Edited by - The Don on 31 May 2006 11:35:47

I am a complete electrikery numpty, I bought mine from vehicle products for a couple of quid, looked up how to wire in a big red starter button from the FAQ on blatchat, and it was very easy and took about 1/2 hour including deciding where to put it *thumbup* 😬

RED 2.0 HPC

Nah, that one is too small. I got this one here. I think the wiring on the switch for the VX should be pretty much the same, certainly I followed the same instructions as Gambo.

Cheers

Tom

see here - UPDATED

Hmmm, around £10 from Maplin for the button plus reusable (though crappy) crimping tool versus £20 for the S2000 one... *thumbup*

Did you get the thinwall cable from Maplin too, or from Vehicle Wiring Products, per the FAQ? If Maplin can you tell me the ref - I can't see it 😳

Don't think mine was thinwall, just bought 2m of standard single core cable. I got mine over the counter though, as they have a branch on the retail park in Cambridge which is open at Caterham-bodging hours.

Cheers

Tom

see here - UPDATED

These buttons all look very tacky. *tongue*

You want the proper ITW 76-94 panel switch (as used by Caterham). The tactile feel is superb, and it is sealed to IP67 so no danger of water ingress.

I bought mine from RS components - surprisingly you no longer need a company account.

Think it was around 10 quid.

If anyone is interested I have ONE CatStart circuit left over from a batch of 20 I have just made for various club members.

The CatStart is a one (big red) button device which operates IGNITION ON, IGNITION OFF and STARTING all from the one button. ie: no separate ignition switch is needed. Your immobiliser is totally unaffected by the use of this circuit.

Operation is as follows, from ignition OFF:

1st push = ignition ON

2nd push (held down for 1 second) = starter motor ON for as long as the button is held down

3rd push (and release immediately) = ignition OFF

With the ignition ON, the circuit will recognise a push-and-immediate-release as an ignition OFF command and a push-and-hold-down as a START command.

There is a jumper option inside which will require a 3 second hold of the button initially to switch the ignition ON to provide additional security if desired. The OFF and START functions are unaffected by this jumper.

Fitting is very straightforward and very detailed instructions are included.

First to shout gets it. Price is £68 + £5 p&p or collect from my home if geographically feasible (Bedfordshire)

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 31 May 2006 16:06:46

I might swap a VXR220 for my Se7en! *tongue*

In this case I think the "microprocessor controlled sophistication" is a bit overkill. In an emergency situation slapping the aircraft switch cover to kill the ign is a more natural reaction than having to think about a multi-function option.

IMHO, of course. 😬

Edited by - Mike Molloy on 1 Jun 2006 14:37:36

Mike

To switch off the engine with my module, you only have to hit the Big Red Button; there's no thinking required. That's certainly no slower than hitting an aircraft switch and certainly MUCH quicker than fiddling for the key.

Also, an aircraft switch can be very easily accidentally knocked OFF, while reaching across the dash, as I did on a couple of occasions when I used to have one.

Anyway, it's academic as the unit is sold; presumably to someone who can afford more than 8 quid. 😬

Chris

PS: the VRX220 is around £30K so a lot lot MORE than the average 7

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 1 Jun 2006 15:13:56

Hey, you didn't specify *which* Vauxhall...

Just out of interest I specc'd up a new R400 Cosworth and sailed easily past the 35K mark.

Far too many impossible-to-resist shiny things in the options list... *cool*

The place I have seen a switch like yours work *really* well was on a custom bike. The builder went for a totally clean look for the bars, all wiring hidden etc. The multifunction ign/start button was tucked up under the seat somewhere. Very nice *thumbup*