Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electronic Gadgets for the 7 UPDATED

Chris W

I have designed a few gadgets for the 7 which some people have already purchased and fitted. I am not doing these commercially so the quantities I can make are limited to a couple of dozen.

The price does not reflect the time I take to design and make them, but they are things I have made for myself and I'm happy to do a few for fellow club members as I quite enjoy building them.

All items can be fitted to a fixed or Q/R wheel where applicable. All the circuits employ microprocessors so are very sophisticated and reliable in the functionality they offer. They are all about 5" x 2.5" x 1.5" in size (except the gearshift lights - see below)and come with easy to fit instructions. You don't need to be an electronics whizz-kid to fit them.

1. CatFlash: Self-cancelling wheel or dash-mounted indicator switches with audible buzzer (can be switched off if required) and user settable time-out. One push ON, one push OFF or self-timeout.

2. CatStart: A single (big red) button (not wheel mounted). First push gives ignition ON, second push gives ignition OFF. A second push which is held for 1 second will operate the starter motor and will continue to crank until the button is released. When the engine is running, a push will switch OFF the engine and the ignition. If the engine stalls, the ignition will remain ON until you either push for OFF or push and hold to recrank the starter.

Also, by means of an internal jumper selection, you have the choice of:

a). The first push switches the ignition ON immediately (great for track days etc) or

b). The first push needs to be held down for 3 seconds before the ignition switches ON. This gives a measure of security against some drongo in a carpark or your kids etc pushing the big red button. Nothing will happen unless the switch is held down for the required 3 seconds.

3. CatDip: a single button (wheel mounted if desired) which will flash the mainbeam headlights just like the normal flasher switch when pressed until it is released. If the headlights are switched ON, pushing the same button will now toggle the headlights between DIP and MAIN beam just like the standard dip/main switch. Two functions in one convenient button.

4. CatShift: Gearshift lights for normal or wasted spark ignition. Unlike the commercially available ones, this unit has 9 LEDs which can cover ANY range of revs eg: 4000 to 7000rpm or any larger or smaller range. The LEDs are arranged in 3 groups (3 green at the low rev end, 3 yellow over the middle rev range and 3 red at the top rev range). The user can also select by means of a switch that ,when all 9 LEDs are illuminated at the top end, they all flash together to warn the driver he/she is approaching maximum revs. A brightness control is also fitted as the unit uses hi-intensity LEDs for easy viewing in daylight but which need dimming at night to avoid snow blindness! The unit has only 3 wires to connect and comes in a small black box about 5" x 1" x1" which is fitted on the top of the dash in line of sight behind the steering wheel. Several club members have this unit already.

Price for any of the above is £68 with the exception of the CatShift which is £100 (plus p&p or pick up from my home or club meeting). For anyone who lives near me (South Bedfordshire) I am also happy to fit any of the above at nominal cost.

If anyone is interested, please email me on chris@cwyles.freeserve.co.uk

Cheers

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 11 May 2006 19:45:57

• Leadership Team

Nice one Chris *thumbup*

Quick question (nothing to do with lenses 😬) ......... is it pratical/possible to combine items 1/2/3 onto one board, or in one box? This would enable more features with less wiring & installation? maybe call it a "CatComplete" 😬

Stu.

Hi Stu

I could do them all on one board but I would have to redesign and layout a whole new PCB which is very, very time consuming. If enough people wanted it that way, it would be worth doing but otherwise I would have to charge a bundle just for the many hours it would take to redo it.

Cheers

Chris

I can vouch for the indicator kit... I spent a couple of very pleasant hours, sitting in my seven, listening to my iPod, stroking a couple of our dogs and fitting Chris's indicator set up.

It was a bit of a pain having to get out of the car to get another beer when the first bottle became empty but dogs don't like picking up glass!

Excellant bit of kit, only bettered by the fitting instructions and pictures - especially the one of Chris's wife bread board!

Chris, YHM

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Timed out indicators. Very excellent idea *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* Why oh Why aren't all cars fitted with them it would instantly stop all the idiots driving 30 miles down the motorway with the indicator going. Even the wife 53 year old Bentley had clockwork self timing indicators you can even change the delay by adjusting how far you turn the switch.

Mike

I'm not familiar with the internals of the Stackdash as I don't have one myself. However, the CatShift just needs an input from the tacho feed to operate. So if the tacho has pulses going into it like the non-Stackdash version, then it will operate fine. The magnitude of these pulses doesn't matter because my circuit converts the input pulses into a the shape and the level (voltage) it needs in order to take a reading.

The CatShift can cope with normal or wasted-spark (double speed pulses). There is a simple internal selector switch for the appropriate ignition version.

Chris

I am interested in the Cat Start assembly.

Just one question, if the engine is running, and stalls (Its a X-Flow with intermittant idling!) does holding the button for longer than 1 second operate the starter, or is it a case of cycle through the sequence from the beginning?

In the meantime, I'll have one please. YHM

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris

It does the same as if you were using an ignition key in that situation, viz: the engine stalls but the ignition stays ON. Holding the button depressed for a second will operate the starter. You don't have to cycle through the whole process again.

Chris

I will be compiling a list of all those who want the CatStart tomorrow and will be bulk buying the components in order to meet the price. Let me know by tomorrow if you want one (if you haven't contacted me already) as once I have made a batch I shall have to put a slight price hike on onesy-twosy quantities.

Cheers

Chris

I have modified the CATSTART software to give the following additional functionality.

By means of an internal jumper selection, you will now have the choice of:

1. The first push switches the ignition ON immediately (great for track days etc) or

2. The first push needs to be held down for 3 seconds before the ignition switches ON. This gives a measure of security against some drongo in a carpark or your kids etc pushing the big red button. Nothing will happen unless the switch is held down for the required 3 seconds.

Hope that appeals

Chris

John

The short answer is yes; I could integrate almost any other system into the design.

However, I have no experience of actually designing these into circuits so would have to do some reading up and learning about the different systems available. I have no doubt that I can do it but I don't know at this stage what the price or timeframe impact would be.

I would guess that the cost would go up significantly, but I will look at being able to add it at a later stage to an existing CatStart. That way people have a choice as to whether to spend the extra or not.

Obviously, the existing immobiliser is not affected by the CatStart and so will still inhibit starting if activated.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by - Chris W on 12 May 2006 10:30:56

If anyone one here has not emailed me DIRECTLY (rather than through Blatchat) and wants any of the circuits, please do so without delay to

chris@cwyles.freeserve.co.uk

Please use your normal email address rather than the Blatchat one as I can't send attachments to Blatchat email addresses.

Hi Robin

The cost is as stated in my original post above (viz: £68). The connection to the Q/R wheel is via a flying lead with a miniature American style telephone plug and socket (officially known as an RJ11).

To fit the wheel, you connect the plug first and then the wheel in the normal way. Removing the wheel is the reverse of this.

You can either collect from my home or have it sent recorded delivery for £5.

Cheers

Chris

I have now bought the components for the people who have ordered the "CatStart" circuit. Because of the quantities and price breaks involved, I have enough components left over for about another 6 of these circuits. If you would like one, please notify me on

chris@cwyles.freeserve.co.uk ASAP as I will sell them on a first-come-first-served basis. I have no plans to build a second batch as I have orders for other circuits to fulfill.

Price is £68. The unit is simple to fit and comes with detailed and easy fitting instructions.

As a reminder, the CatStart does the following:

CatStart: A single (big red) button. First push gives ignition ON, second push gives ignition OFF.

However, a second push which is held for 1 second will operate the starter motor and will continue to crank until the button is released. When the engine is running, a push will switch OFF the engine and the ignition. If the engine stalls, the ignition will remain ON until you either push for OFF or push and hold to recrank the starter.

So all the ON,OFF and START functions in one simple button.

Also, by means of an internal jumper selection, you have the choice of:

a). The first push switches the ignition ON immediately (great for track days etc) or

b). The first push needs to be held down for 3 seconds before the ignition switches ON. This gives a measure of security against some drongo in a carpark or your kids etc pushing the big red button. Nothing will happen unless the switch is held down for the required 3 seconds.

The existing immobiliser functionality is totally unaffected and fitting is simply a case of removing the 3 wires from the ignition switch (or existing switch/big red button) and plugging them into the circuit. If you ever sell the car and want to convert back, just replug the wires back on to the ignition switch. The CatStart uses standard spade connectors so it's fast and simple.

Email me today please if you would like to be on the list - delivery will be about 2 weeks.

Chris