Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drilling Aluminium floor

Ron_F

I'm having lots of problems trying to drill a couple of small holes (2mm) in the Ali floor of my SV.

Tried normal (black) and titanium (yellow) HSS drill bits but they don't want to "bite" into the metal, on both slow and high speed settings. End up with nice polished dimples in the floor *mad*

Thought it would be easy, aluminium is soft isn't it?

Am I missing something *confused*

Are there special bits for aluminium?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would think Adrians suggestion is the most likely. 😳 Aluminium is just about the easiest of metals to drill and since you've tried a range of drill bits I'm assuming they cant all be blunt.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Even on a very fast setting, a 2mm bit should pop through thin aluminium sheet with absolutely no difficulty and definitely wouldn't blunt a decent quality drill. I still think an anti-clockwise rotation to be the most likely culprit. *wink*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Try the Microsoft Drill Troubleshooter:

Is your drill battery or mains? Mains

Is it plugged in to a wall socket? Yes

Is the wall socket switched on? Yes

Sorry, the Microsoft Drill Troubleshooter does not have a suggestion for your problem. Please consult your drill vendor or purchase a new drill.

1) Apply some pressure. Are you pressing the drill into the job? It won't bite without any pressure. Don't use so much pressure that you buckle the floor though - just a firm pressure.

2) Use good quality drill bits - cheapo drill bits are pretty crap.

3) Don't use a fast speed - use quite a low RPM. A fast speed will drill a hole but it won't be so neat.

4) Use some lubricant - I don't know what is the "correct" lubricant for aluminium so I just use some 3-in-1 oil.

The drill is supposed to cut the metal from the job in a nice long "peel", like peeling an apple almost. It never works out this way for me but I know I'm doing a good drilling job when I get long bits of swarf instead of dust.

If you are doing the above then a 2mm hole in thin sheet ali should take about five seconds to drill. If not, you've got blunt bits or the drill is going backwards.

You haven't got the hammer setting turned on have you?

Anthony

hee hee - once spent half and hour watching our shop manager with 25yrs experience cursing the drill, the drill bits, the metal and the world in general - then suggested switching the drill to clockwise . . . straight through . . .

Next door neigbour did the same last week - lent him some proper drill bits and away he went - holes straight through his bit of RSA.

As for "peeling" - that isn't the correct way - with correct speed, tip angle, lubricant etc, you should get chips - not dust or peel - safer too - to break the "peel", "blip" the trigger to momentarily break the strip coming off.

Actually, with aluminium Caterham floors and a 2mm bit, you should be able to simply push it thro . . .

Bri

• Area Representative

When I did this the (not especially sharp) bit was out the other side before the drill motor was even up to speed, so I have to agree that something is awry.

Were your drill bits last used for fashioning Gruyere perhaps *confused* *wink*

C

Any advice would be appreciated

That'll teach you to give BlatChatters carte blanche in the advice stakes *tongue*

Let me know if you want me to come round and sit in the car - you'll have holes all over the place then.......

Thanks for all the kind suggestions, especially jingars *wink*

Haven't had time to investigate further today but promise to report back when my full stupidity has been thoroughly exposed *mad*

OK, stupidity completely exposed *mad*

Adrian and Brent had it right......drill set to reverse *eek*

In my defence....it is easily moved by accident AND I don't use reverse often AND my bits are old ....

I'll shut up now and just accept that I look an 🙆🏻