Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff oil

Slowdriver

I need to check the diff oil on my K series.

Can anyone confirm that its a 10mm Allen key; and also what oil is best to use given that I don't know what is already on there and it can't be drained and replaced.

IE it is possibly going to end up a mix.

Yes it is a 10mm key - I use the hex key i got fot the apollo and gearbox drian plugs - one size fits all 😬

Wouldn'y like to advise on oil.

Is it an LSD or open?

My 2001 owners manual suggests comma ep90 for all applications...

I just checked the level of the diff on my car. (1989 Long cockpit Dedion)

I jacked up the rear drivers side wheel and this allows the Dedion tube to be below the line of the drain plug when accessed from the boot area.

I should add that the vintage of my car means that I have 'half' a boot cover and the petrol tank is completly visable !!! and it is possible to squeeze my arm into the gap between the boot half and the tank.

I don't know how difficult it is to take the boot floor out of a latter car. But that just progress for you ?

good luck

Richard 😬

• Area Representative

I jack the car (2002 roadsport) up and put axle stands under the chassis that allows the dedion tube to drop down.

I then lift the honey comb boot floor (can't lift it out, but lift and twist it far enough to give access) - I'm sure I don't have a problem removing the level plug with a hex bit on a 3/8 rachet.

Thanks for all the excellent advice. Fingers crossed job is now done. I jacked it; put on to stands front and back, the de dion does drop, which helps but removing the wooden floor bit didn't since its forward of the back of the diff, where the plug is. So I attacked it from underneath with a regular allen key and a bit of copper (in the absence of steel) pipe to get it loosened off. The plug with its magnetic centre had a pretty reasonable amount of metal attached, but I hope no more than would be expected from a 12k car without a previous top-up. Filled it by putting the gear oil bottle horizontally above and slightly behind the DD. Needless to say got a reasonable amount in hair. Plug back in and tightened (without pipe torque). I've gunked it off to allow me to check if there is a leak on the h/s seals, which is my suspicion. I'b be getting it off stands and roadtested shortly .. once i've got the diff oil out of my hair and glasses - at least the hinges dont squeak. *smile*