Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front wing repeaters. Needed for MOT?

Mrs Kipper

Hijack (sort of), My MOT due at end of month. From what I've gathered, yes they're needed. Seen as though my car doesn't even have any (1995) I shall go down route of turning main repeaters slightly outwards (if I have to) so as to be visible from rear (not a reflection) and hope I've got a sympathetic tester.

If they're there I'd fix them, else I'm thinking of mounting tiny LED repeater on side of main ones

Cheers

David

1.4K SS 😬 Saving for the next trackday *wink*

Edited by - David Lynch on 3 Apr 2006 08:24:15

A question that is often asked and with a variety of answers! Certainly if they are fitted they need to work, but as to whether you need them or not it seems to depend on the interpretation of the MOT tester. There is a certain angle from the side of the car where indicators need to be visible, some testers will allow a pass because they can see the dome of the front indicator, but others won't. I think that to be strictly by the book you do need them. As you have them, just get them working anyway *thumbup*

Roadsport build photo's here

Le Mans 2004 photo's here

I believe there need to be there and working. But in practice, I've never had them on for an MOT and passed okay (similar aged car to yours). tHE ISSUE IS, IF YOU'VE GOT THEM AND THEY'RE NOT WORKING, IT'S FAIRLY OBVIOUS THEY SHOULD BE THERE (ARE WORKING). Ditto, if you've got holes in the wings where they should be??

(apologies for caps - lock got stuck on and can't be bothered to retypre...)

• Support Team

Details here but not exactly clear if fitted lights must work - I suspect any tester will assume that if they are there then they should work. The argument about whether they are required or not has been done to death on here - my opinion, and that of my tester, is that as long as the rule shown below can be satisfied then the car will pass.:

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

My 98 car has never had them, and it hasn't been a problem as yet *cool*

But if they are fitted, then they need to work.

I even bought some, to fit, as I decided that it maybe a good idea to have them, for safety reasons, but I haven't got around to fitting them yet 😳

My 2001 car (believe it was SVA'd) didn't have them - but I fitted them anyway.

As mentioned elsewhere, the golden-rule is 'if it is fitted, it must work'.

If you haven't got them fitted and run into any trouble at the MOT station - how about angling the main indicators outwards a bit - they should be easier to spot from the 1-metre viewing point.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Hopefully getting MOT'd next week (time slot pending)

I specifically rasied the point that my car (1995 Kit) doesn't have them and quite simply put, car would not even be allowed through their door without. So £20 (pimp lenses included, yes I'm sad), 1 hour of my time, 1 hour of contingency *tongue*, FIA switch off, drill, dremel, screwdriver and tie wraps it is then. Not exactly a hardship is it *wink*

1.4K SS 😬 Saving for the next trackday *wink*

*arrowup* *arrowup*

Hi Andy

Maybe it was just Millwoods following the absolute letter of the law... I forget what I paid for repeaters and fitting on the day, but it was a nice little earner for them no doubt!

I've met other 7ers since who have the same age of car with no repeaters too.

Mango Orange - K1600C - It just looks YELLOW! *tongue*

Just had my R500 MOT'd.

It failed on no repeaters - couldn't persuade tester that others do pass without. So repeaters on their way from CC.

However, when he "asked the computer" about the emission test it told him visual test only. I'm not complaining (!) but how can this be on a 2001 car - albeit home built?

Martin

R500 MPR