Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cleaning Stainless Exhaust

TonyC

Local welders merchant but be careful its quite a potent acid and should be treated with due regard for your health and well being - don't brethe fumes and wear plenty of old clothes. Take even greater care of any body work on the car unless you are removing components to clean separately

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

webshots here

Its not that good, unless your exhaust is very burn`t and heat tarnished, even then it takes a fair bit of elbow grease after application.As others have stated its nasty stuff and do not get any on paint work. I find the better option is very fine grade wire wool and autosol, yes it takes a bit of work but mine comes up a treat *thumbup*

John

Prior to cleaning the car and exhaust I spray my pipes with Autoglym alloy wheel cleaner. I keep the stuff away from the bodywork by putting a piece of cardboard between the body and the pipes. Leave it on for about 3-5 mins and then wash it off when doing the rest of the car. My pipes were shined up to begin with, but this appears to get rid of a lot of the blueing. I then just finish it off with a chrome polish, and if I've done a good job they you can see your face in them. Worth a try and easier to find than pickling paste

The pickling paste works very well, especially if helped along with a greeny pad. Leaves the stainless clean but dull. Needs a good polish afterwards. Strong Rubber gloves etc. must be used. Available from most good welding parts dealers.

Don't use emery, unless you want to spend hours polishing,trying to remove the scratches

Cheers J&J

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

Edited by - johnjulie on 25 Mar 2006 18:33:20

Ever thought of the stuff that is used to clean pans. We have some stuff called Astonish, it works very well on S/S pans surely it should work on pipes.

Should I nick it and will she still love me if she finds me near the sink. *eek*

TRY 5S

Buzzin' Bee It's never too late for a happy childhood *cool* *cool* *cool*