Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Tyre 16"

harrog8

I am looking to replace my 16" Michelin Pileups. most of my mileage seems to be done driving to and taking part in track days, bearing in mind i don't fancy changing my wheels but would like to have a bit more confidence with the level of grip when i'm on the track what tyres would you suggest.

My investigation so far has come up with:

Toyo T1-S

Stunner Scudo

Avon ZZR

Avon ZZ3

any other suggestions or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave

Despite your reluctance you'd be better off in the end buying a set of 13" wheels and cheaper 13" rubber if you want to use the car for more than just road driving. At 13" you have endless choice in rubber. the wheels will pay for themselves in no time with the cheaper tyres.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

Caterham Service Agents. www.onthelimiter.com

If you really do want to stick with 16's....I'd go for a set of Stunners....they're much better on the road than the pileups...and by all accounts are ok on trackdays too...the sprinters love em as well *tongue*

JJ's right about having far more choice in 13's and generally they are cheaper...but I think you may be surprised just how cheap Stunners are *wink*

The name's Puff, Powder Puff

N7XTC

Thanks for your comments

The car is a roadsport with clamshells so not ideal for the track, hence this tyre change is to be an interim measure before i trade it in for a more appropriate car. To that end i will have a look around for a local source of stunners.

thanks again

Dave

Dave,

Stunners or Avon ZZ3's

I run the ZZ3's and have done for the last 25000 miles (and 2 sets).

I'm on my 3rd set and they are great IMO for the road and wet circuit use. I use 15" CR500 for the dry circuit work...

a vote for Toyo T1-S here. I've done about 10,000 road miles on a set, plus a couple of track days and they still have tread left. I'll be sprinting on them this year, and frankly don't expect to be at a deficit to the Stunners.

At £65 a corner fully fitted for the T1-S, Johnty's comment about 13" tyres being cheaping isn't really true. Yes a set of yoko 048s or 032s in 13" will only set you back £45 or so, but then they will only last 3-5K miles!

For road driving Toyos, or Stunners are really all you need. I run 032s and 048s for track, but on the road find the T1-S hang on as well, if not better. You don't need heat in them to make them grip well in the same way you do for the softer 13" rubber.

cheers everyone, i'll have a word with my regular tyre dealer and see what he can get his hands on and at what price then if he's well over the top i'll have a word with camskill.

don't get me wrong i have fun on the track, but would like to go through a session without being lapped, don't know if this is because of a lack of: grip, power or just that i'm not a good enough driver. probably the latter

see you at cadwell, hopefully by then i can discount grip.

thanks again

Dave

Fairy nuff, FWIW the way I found to go quicker was new tyres (more for confidence than much else as the instructior who drove our car said it was very well balanced if not ultimately the grippiest thing on the track), lots of instruction and practise and later on better brake pads (I use Pagid RS15 in std calipers) again for confidence and that warm feelig you get when the brakes bite properly when you go belting into a hairpin!

Dave,

For what it's worth, I was looking for 16" tyres last Autumn and someone mentioned that the ZZ3's were OK but very noisy. I went with Stunners and they are good. Got them from Top Gear Racing in Aylesbury (01296-433011) for £49 a corner including fitting, new stainless valves and theft, "which was nice"

GuyT

Dave,

I run Kumho Ecsta soft they have a wear rating of 50 so wont last that long if you do loadsa miles and at £115 a corner aint excatly cheap, I did however do a few laps around Spa before putting on the 13" slicks and can safely say I was amazed by the amount of grip those 16 inchers gave.