Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulk Buy - Pipercross AirBox suitable for R3/4/500 NOISE RESULTS FROM BEDFORD ARE ADDED TO Page 14

frankyknuckles

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the bulk buy i not dead, and is not closed.

I'm about to test the airbox on my own Jenvey TB'd car. It has immediately produced a noise reduction of approximately 6 db on drive by, where the meter was placed on the RH roadside, and I aimed to pass at the same distance and at 7.000 RPM. THis was done ten times, and the noise figure I got went down from 102 to 96db. Fitting foam to the outside of the box has further reduced the noise with 2 ish db. This is lightweight foam, 20mm thick, just to prevent the "top" of the box from flexing as is is fairly flimsy. The foam is self adhesive and almost impossible to remove, hence applied to Gaffa tape, which may be a noise reduction itself as it prevents the surface from vibrating.

I have fitted the box on the trumpet ends, which moves it as far from the TB's as possible, as there is plenty of room under the bonnet with the relatively short DTH Jenveys. As for power figures I have not yet managed to get the car on a rolling road, but from my wideband lambda AFR meter, I can see that - with the same map - the engine runs lean at 4k RPM at part throttle, which to me indicates a better air flow, on the other hand does it run slightly rich on max RPM and full welly. To obtain the same AFR at max RPM I had to reduce the fueling by approximately 2%, which I'd assume will be equivalent to the power loss. This is compared to no air filter or anything to disturb the air flow. I haven't even fitted the hose that came with the airbox as I want to make an air intake over the rad if possible.

I hope this makes sense, if not please do not hesitate to ask as English, as you know, is not my native language...

Growing old is mandatory - Growing up is optional

• 7 months later...

Just for peoples interest I bought one of there Pipercross airboxes from Burton Power last week. It fits perfectly onto the R500 rollerbarrels, with no particular stress or strain on it.

My car needs a few more days work on it before I can start it so I'll have to wait a while to see how the airbox works. I'll then be off for a rolling road session. I'll hoping to map with the airbox in situ, see waht power that gives, and then have a run with a normal airfilter to see if the airbox is causing any loss/gain of power.

RJ has jenvey's I think.. and has fudged up this airbox so it sits on the end of his trumpets. Or that is what his reply to thread in Tech Talk seems to say.

Dave, reading the old threads I think you are right. People seem to say the airbox fitted physically, but the example the was being used for testing cracked/fitted poorly.

The one I received last week fitted great!! Powderpuff wants to try it on his whippet with rollerbarrels, so we'll be able to say for sure then if it fits a r4/500 SIII chassis as well as SV.

Mark,

If your backplate fits my box I'll happily send it over to you to test... (I have vandalised the backplate to make it fit my setup)

My chassis is the race chassis if that's what Dave J means with "whipped".

And I do have Jenveys and 50mm long 42mm ø trumpets. To fit the std injectors using the jenvey fuel rails I needed to move the position of the box away from the TB's, up the trumpets so to say. When I did so I had to offset the holes from the center of the backplate, but as the face of the trumpet is at level with the backplate I don't think it's an issue.

/regin

I recall one of the zeus fastener tabs broke ?. The airbox looked to be of reasonable quality when I first saw it at the motorshow a few years back.

The noise testing that was done I gather was quite basic with a simple drive by test by frankyknuckles ?.