Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cutting larger exhaust hole

Adrian M

I’m upgrading my exhaust system form a single pipe to a 4-2-1 system and need to have the hole in the side skin enlarged accordingly. Can anyone recommend someone that can do it for me if I can get hold of the template, preferably located near High Wycombe, Bicestor or west London?

Ade

Have recently enlarged my exhaust exit hole 😳 in the side skin and just used a good (read sharp) half round file.

One tip I learn't from somebody else is to only file when pushing into the the hole from the outside and not when pulling the file back. This way will make sure that the paint doesn't chip. I also put two layers masking tape in the area of the hole first and marked out the area to be removed.

I had to enlarge the bottom of the opening - don't quite understand why this is so common. *confused* I was nervous about it but it went fine using a dremel with a flexible shaft (not absolutely needed) and a dremel 1"abrasive cut-off wheel. Tape everything off and draw what you want to cut. Draw a semi-circle on the tape for the corner and use a 1/2" dremel drum sander bit. Then clean up edges carefully with fine file. Biggest thing to be carefull of is that you don't try to go too fast or let the bit grab and pull off line. Practice on a scrap and take it slow. No worries. *thumbup*

No problem appears too large if you get far enough away...

Hi

James Whiting.

I know someone who was very anal with his car (and everything else!!) who was really pleased with his work.

Now that his hole has been enlarged to his satisfaction he can get a much wider exhaust in.

Mr G