Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake pads & fluid - votes please!

Griff

I'm sure I can get more out of my brake setup which at the moment has standard discs, Willwood 4-pot fronts, Sierra rears and Mintex 1144 all round plus a bia valve. I've invested in an uprated master cylinder and will be changing the fluid.

Checking the archives it seems the pad choices are:-

Mintex 1144 (know where I am with these and they've never let me down)

Pagid RS14 (expensive but seem to be popular)

Ferrodo DS 3000 (a few advocates)

EBC Green Stuff (surprisingly negative views, also ECB suggested their Yellowstuff at the Autosport show - seems an odd choice?)

Please vote now! Also wondering if I really need exotic pads on the back too or are standard pads OK with a bit of bias valve fiddling?

Next query - I've 2 litres of Castrol Response dot 4 synthetic fluid which has been on my shelf for a year (unopened). It's never been used as I wasn't sure of the wisdom of synthetics and whether this called for complete seal changes? I've never had problems before and don't want them now. Should I switch or stick with my present (non-synthetic?) fluid?

Cheers,

Mike (Griff)

It's not pink, it's medium red violet...!

Two for Pagids so far - will call John Frieth later - thanks!

The Castrol fluid I have is a "Super dot 4" synthetic but it's not SRF which I assume is a dot 5 fluid (?). The stuff I was bought from Merlin Motorsport (who also sell SRF) but I recall they advised not to use a dot 5 in case there were dot 4 residues in the system. I then got worried about the Super dot 4 as its a synthetic and I'm again not sure of the wisdom in case there are any mineral fluid residues. I want to avoid changing every pipe, hose & seal in the system if I can help it! Or am I confused between synthetic and silicon fluids?

I also read lots or warnings about fast moisture absorption in SRF and that it should be changed more frequently than conventional fluids. Won't this negate the benefits of high performance fluid? I've changed fluid twice in the three years I've had the car but wonder if this classes as "frequent" enough?

• Support Team

AFAIK, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 can be mixed as these are normal brake fluids. DOT 5.0 is silicone based and should never be mixed with 4 or 5.1. I am pretty sure that silicone is not recommended for high performance brake systems.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years at the mimimum on a 7 along with the flexible pipes. If you use one of the high performance brake fluids they probably need to be changed more regularly.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

John Freith - really helpful guy and dispels the myths!

Not as much choice of pads for the Willwood 4-pots but looks like Pagids are the route - he's just checking availability of compounds.

As for fluids he actually recommended sticking with a regular dot 4 or super dot 4 fluid as the dot 5 doesn't lubricate the pistons as well. Other benefits he felt were pretty marginal.

Odd I replied ot this thread earlier but it's missing *confused*

RS15's all round and SRF, not tried them yet ask me on 5ht Feb *thumbup*

Previously I've tried Mintex 1144, 1177 and DS3000. 3000's work well but are quite aggressive and where quite quickly. 1144's are a nice alround pad but lack bite, 1177's have bite but need a lot of heat and can cool too much on a reasonable straight (least they do with my namby driving *smile* )

Mark

RS15s in HiSpec Ultralite 4 fronts. Noisy as hell.

Halfrauds 5.1 until now as I had a hell of a lot of problems* and kept having to bleed them.

*everything from being supplied with just-too-short brake hoses upto and including replacing the MC.

I've just received a set of exchange rear clappers - and the front of the car is piled up in my boot at the mo - so I might switch straight to SRF.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Right - there's not much choice for the Willwood Dynalite 4-pots which I have, only a fast road spec compound but not any RS14 or RS15. John Freith said an almost equivalent option and best available is the Ferodo DS3000 which is also half the price - not much more than 1144s and far better performance. Will give these a go and ponder further on the brake fluids. Seems the super dot 4 stuff I already should be more than adequate.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Mike (Griff)