Click here if you are having website access problems ×

POR-15 Experience

David Lynch

Hello Folks, the 🙆🏻 of my car is pretty tatty. What experience of POR-15 do you have?

Preparation? I was just looking to clean/degrease and wire brush/rough sand. It's all in the preparation. So any guidance, products and best surface condition for POR-15 application would be appreciated.

Is the Chassis Coat Black worthwhile over the top of POR-15? I'll probably do it anyway as want to leave alone until rebuild time (years away £££) 😬 Want surface to be easily cleanable.

Was there ever any paint on driveshafts (they are just a lovely shade of Iron Oxide)?

Ta Muchly

1.4K SS 😬 The Geek will inherit the earth *wink*

Used POR 15 on chassis last night. Appears to be very good. Preparation was scraper to remove flaking powder coat and then wire brush. AVES is right about trying to remove from flesh it's a right bu**er, have scars to proove. Tin advises to decant to smaller vessel and then reseal tin asap, with cling film between tin lip and lid otherwise when the paint dries the lid is permanent fixture. Hopefully an indication of how well it sticks to the chassis. Needs top coat if used on surfaces that are subject to UV as it must degrade I guess.

I don't intend the chassis seeing sunlight as that indication I've got it very wrong *eek* Reckon more resiliance to lots of road miles with top coat though.

I'd best liberate some gloves from near the diesel pumps next time I'm at a garage then 😬

David, I think you are right about a top coat protecting for more miles and it will be easier to do as surface will not preparing for second coat.

(leave some gloves on the forecourt for those of us who have oil burners ) 😬 😬 😬 😬

Back to the garage to see if I can lid off the tin *eek*

Good gloves to wear are the medical ones - pop and see your local dentist - they'll probably let you have 5-10 pairs (if you see them professionally that is) or offer to buy a box off him/her.

ISTR that they're significantly cheaper that you'd pay at DT's , HFrauds etc (£3/100 seems to ring a bell).

I wear them for all work on the car (but them I'm a big softie really),

Dave.

Never put off till tomorrow what can be enjoyed today 😬

Just ordered some Por-15 from Frosts so I can treat the rear end of the car whilst the De-dion is out. Reading the instructions on the web-site they recommend using 'metal ready' before applying Por-15. Does this make any difference?

Phil

1997 Brooklands Green 1.8 Supersport

I am in exactly the same position - just ordered from Frosts. Their technical fella advised that if you are applying the POR15 to unrusted metal then the metal prep stuff would be needed to key the surface. Maybe that is just selling more product but I "fell" for it. I guess I will see!!!

As an aside, one of my colleagues at work used the paint on his Landrover about 6 months ago and now swears by it.

NigelJ

Hmm.. Only intend applying 'Metal Ready' to clean and etch totally rusted drive shafts. Comment last time car was at Midlands was lack of paint meant it was easy to spot any damage on De Dion *eek* My main concern is good cleaner/degreaser.

Collected my Medical Gloves from friend this evening *thumbup*. Text message asking 'Medium or large and are you alright with Latex ?' caused much mirth in the office *tongue*

Right, checked out POR15's own website and got MSDS, Instruction and Numpty Instruction sheets. Looks like it's best on bare etched metal *idea* but that isn't an option except for driveshafts. It's going over degreased, sanded and cleaned still partially coated frame. But it seems everyone happy it's more impact resiliant that Hammer/Smootherite. Reckon A-Frame and bushes worth replacing outright though due to wavy cross member *eek*.

Notice the starter pack that Holden sell contains Grey, not Black else that would have sufficed for a Se7en 🙆🏻 Frost don't sell it... Of course painting it all grey would reduce the 'missed a bit' errors and then Chassis Coat Black over the top

POR15 £17, Chassis Coat Black £20, Metal Ready £11, Marine Clean £9

Cloths, Wire brush, paintbrushes, small pots, gloves, tie wraps, safety specs and a good few hours of my time *thumbup*

• 2 weeks later...

Used it at the weekend 🙆🏻 What a bu 🙆🏻 🙆🏻er, got it everywhere, best bit was the drop that got between the saftey goggles and my face, spread accross the bridge of my nose giving me a nice black Adam Ant stripe *eek*, caught it before it went off *smile* removed it with brush cleaner but still my face is a little red and it does look like I've got blackheads ☹️

A bit shiny for my taste but as its underneath I'll live with it thats the paintwork not my complexion *wink*

Nick h

What its all about

Used it for the first time last night, applied 3 coats, second after 3 hours.

Only problem is the finish has bubbled on the underside of the chassis tubes, although everywhere else it looks goods - has anyone else experienced this?

I went throuigh a fairly strict regime of wire brushing, emery cloth and de-grease with acetone. Only thing I can think of is that there were some traces of red oxide primer still on the tubes and I think this may have reacted with the POR 15 - looks like I will have to partially rub down and start again ☹️

Interestingly, no reaction where POR 15 has overlapped onto the original powder coating.