Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OT - tin top tyes

davef

It's time to buy a new pair of tyres for the tintop (Saxo VTS). Currently has original fit Michelin Pilots on, which come in at £75 ea. I'm thinking of either going for the goodyear eagle or Toyo proxies T1-S as they appear to be cheaper - any experience of these?

Dave

Sounds cheap for Pilots? My Clio 182 runs on Pilot Exaltos, and I'm told they are the best tyre for it if you can get them. £120 a wheel at ATS though...

Which Pilots are on the Saxo to start with? I took the view with mine that Renault picked that tyre for a reason...

Tom

Tom - the current Michelins are Pilot Exaltos, and £75 was the quote this morning from Bracknell Tyre and Battery (didn't check to see if included fitting). Last time paid ~£90 per corner at main dealer.

I've checked etyre.co.uk - good prices but not quite down to the BT&B prices.....

Dave.

I've gone for the Exalto's - £74/ea fitted *smile*. Interestingly if I went for a higher profile (50 instead of 45) the price dramatically drops (e.g £45 delivered from mytyres.co.uk) - probaly wouldn't even notice the difference....

Dave

the clio is on 205/45 on 16 inch rims, not sure I'd get 50 profile in the arches as it fouls on full lock anyway.... Factory fit wheels and suspension BTW, in case anyone thinks I'm a chav.

I assume the saxo wheels are smaller then, cos that's a great price. Had to have 2nd hand last time as there were none available to fit mine. Fortunately another clio owner felt the same way as Mark and changed his almost unmarked rears.

Tom.

Yes, they are a bit smaller: 195/45 R15. I think the 50 profiles would fit OK - there's plenty of room in the arch (unlike alot of VTRs/VTSs mine is completely standard and has a normal ride height). TBH I agree with Mark as well - the current Exalto's give good grip and the car does fill balanced. Just exploring the options....

Dave

www.topgear.co.uk for some excellent prices.

i had Fulda Extremo in a similar size on a SEAT Ibiza Cupra, and I recently had Yoko A539 in a very similar size. both of which I was very happy with. better and cheaper than michelin pilots. had Toyo Proxes on an Impreza a few years back, also a very good tyre.

and in line with recent blatchat praise I also had a set of Stunner Scudos on the SEAT which were very cheap and as good as the Fuldas...

happy hunting.

I'm running Proxes on a mk 1 Impreza turbo - very happy with them after maybe 500 miles. Obvioulsy I don't know what the life is like, but grip dry or wet is good, good steering feel, very happy.

Cheaper and better than the michelin pilot sports that were on there before - and before anyone says 'pile-ups', they worked fine on the scooby.

Martin

Roadsports B

If everything's under control you're going too slow (Emmerson Fittipaldi)

Or your pants are too tight.(DB)

Thanks guys. In the end I put new Pilot Exaltos on as they appear to work well with the car, and I was only replacing the front set (I'm lucky to see 20K out of the fronts).

I had to wait for 90 mins before they could fit them - for some reason the place was very popular......

Dave

Just found the receipt for the last lot of tyres - they lasted 17K miles (and 14 months) - and they were definitely on the edge of legality! The price was better than I remembered as well (Citroen main delaer) - not far from what I paid today.

I don't think 182bhp (the VTS is 120bhp) is too much - perhaps they just don't last?

Dave