Click here if you are having website access problems ×

x/flow dry sump system - pictures?

Ian Macquarie

Ian,

I don't have any archive photos but I can take some piccies over the weekend and email them to you on Monday, is that OK?

Blatmail me your email address.

I assume you have a crossflow 'cos you joined in on my earlier posts about the oil filter. Is you pump direct or belt driven?

Ian, the remote filter can go whereever you want. I've put mine on the front facing panel of the drivers footwell as then I have two straight pipes from the pump. The filter is easy to get off from underneath. You can put it on the front side chassis rail or on the cross brace.

The kit from Caterham has 2 ali blocks to place under the steering rack to clear the coloumn touching the pump. However this increases bump steer so I've angled the rack upwards and have aprox 30 degree angle on the U/J. Been like it for 4 years now (had blocks in before) and the U/J is OK.

Blatmail me your phone number and I'll ring you back if you want to discuss.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

I have mine upright on top of the rack, where it is easy to get the filter off. It sits on a bracket I made thats held through the steering rack bolts on the passenger side. One warning re the filter housing, tales are legion of people putting the pipes the wrong way round on these and ruining the engines bearings through oil starvation, so look for the direction of oil flow arrow on the housing .

Edited by - Graham Perry on 25 Nov 2005 11:42:21

Hi Mine is also mounted on the front of the drivers footwell. Glad to hear its easy to change as I intend over christmas to do my first 'in house' oil change.

As you will gather I have inherited this installation and it is old (87) I am therefore thinking of changing all the hoses, short of taking them off is there an 'easy way' to tell what dia the various pipes are and the size/thread on the fittings at each end?

Tyrone,

Yes, a crossflow - I'm planning on fitting a Pace 5 port, so direct driven. Pictures would be very helpful - I'll blatmail you my email address.

Norman,

Thanks, I know that in principle the filter can go anywhere (though in my case the space in front of the drivers footwell is reserved for the tank), I'm just trying to make sure that I end up with a neat solution that still preserves some access to other parts and shortish pipe length. I also need to get to grips with which filter head and fittings to buy (there a bit expensive to just buy a selection and see what I use!)

Graham,

Thanks for the warning about getting the pipes the correct way round.

I'm being a little slow here - by upright do you mean with the filter acxis vertical?

How do you prevent the rack getting covered in oil at change time?

There should be arrows on the filter head which shows the flow. This is only important with the later Ford filter which has a non-return valve. Which brings us to mounting filter with filter facing up. It's OK with filter fitted with non-return valve. If not oil will drain down and a surge of air will be pumped round engine every time car is started.

When fitted to the footwell take care when undoing as, if it's tight (it will be) you may rip the mounting bolts out of the ali. You will almost certainly need a filter removing tool. I use the Halford one that goes on a 1/2" socket extension and use with a tee handle to get equal torque both sides. (it's the one with 3 arms that go in and out, not the strap one).

I'll brave the cold and take some pictures, back in a few minutes.

Fittings, I use La Plas in Sheffield rather than the motorsport suppliers. They are hydraulic engineers and I'm sure you'll have one in the yellow pages. I have some stock of pipe and fitting if your stuck. But will off to France before christmas

Edited by - nverona on 25 Nov 2005 15:20:08

Robin,

No, I only got what looked like a front page for Webshots - I've seen other people make comments about having to make them public, or not being signed in or something, however as I've never used webshots I don't know how to make it work. Thanks for trying, perhaps someone else can let you know how to do it.

Ian

My filter housing is fitted into the "receiver" slot that used to house the washer bottle.

If your caterham is like mine then this is approx under the rearmost carb.

Trim down the filter mounting back plate to the same angle as the washer bottle receiver and it just slots in.

When the filter has been screwed on and pipes connected it does not come off.

Dave.

Rob and Norman,

Thanks for your efforts.

The clearance around the pump looks slightly more than I had imagined. I've taken quite a few measurements to assess the possibilities but only just realised the significance of a comment in another thread. As it seems that the "Dry sump" engine mount moves the engine as well as being bent to fit around the pump, I think I had better fit that and then check everything again.

All your photos have been very useful.

Dave,

My wash bottle was fitted over the bellhousing. I think the area under the carbs may be a little difficult to access if I put the (custom) tank in front of the driver's footwell. I think I may persue Graham's pointer of near the steering rack - it looks as if I may be able to position it between the rack and fan in which case it would be above the lower chassis rails, but with nothing below it making changes cleaner.

Thanks all

Ian

Ian, my o/s engine mounting bracket does NOT move the engine to any different position to what it was before.

Bear in mind the BDR engine is as far forward as it will go. The carnk pulley is 1/2" away from cross member. Yours should be a few inches further back.

Ian,

Got your email, I'll take some shots with my new Digi camera tomorrow. MY oil filter housing is in the same place as Dave's and it's not that difficult to get to. Trust me, I have spent some time with it recently!

My Oil tank is located in front of the passenger footwell, I kind of thought this was where everyone put it, all the dry sump installations I've seen have it there. I did have to take the front off the footwell to get in.

Ian,

I dry sumped and added a laminova about three years ago (Well, I didn't Ratrace did). The oil tank in in front of the passenger footwell and the remote filter is below the carbs. The laminova is plumbed into the return to the dry sump tank.

If you send me an email I will try and send through some pictures.

Cheers,

Peter

PS Dave, I believe that you know a man called Colin who works for Encore - an Energy Consultancy. A very good friend of mine.