Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SVA - any tips??

Tim Broyd

I've got my new Roasdport booked in for a PBC next week, with an SVA on 29 November - I'll be taking it myself. I think I understand what the SVA is all about, but if any blatchatters have recent experience - good or bad - from an SVA I'd be grateful.

Many thanks

Tim B

Tim,

Ask CC to make sure all the necessary SVA trims are correctly fitted and if there is anything else that needs doing when you take it for PBC.

The test isn't that bad really. I'd put 2 sevens through. First was a 2001 Academy car and the second a 1997 ex track car. Both passed first time (well I had to replace a sidelight bulb in the second one).

Which test centre are you going to. Hopefully it's Gillingham where the testers see so many Caterhams and know what to expect.

Good Luck and hope you're on the road blatting very soon.

Steve.

Where do you have it booked 🤔 If it's at Gillingham you shouldn't have much of a problem as that's usually where Caterham take it if you pay them to do it.

I did mine myself in Feb 2004 and they were very friendly, helpful and knew exactly what to look for. The car gets driven onto a hydraulic ramp (you'll do this if the tester is on his own) so everything that can be checked will be checked. To that end you're well advised to take a tool roll with the spanners, screwdrivers and a good assortment of anything else you used to build the car with you, as if the car cannot be corrected at the centre it may be failed leading to disappointment and inconvenience. I practically filled my boot with tools but the only problems I had were a slightly weeping brake pipe union (two 10mm spanners) and an intermittent reverse lamp (cracked innards so no good earth) so the small Philips came in very handy *tongue*

Can't remember what all the other documents were but I'm sure you'll have a list from the Factory so don't forget the paperwork! (useful to gather it all now as you can get it registered with the SVA certificate ASAP after the test *thumbup*)

Good luck *wink*

Edited: must learn to type as fast as Steve 😳 😬

RW04FUN

Edited by - Rich Watson on 16 Nov 2005 22:56:17

Take a few odd tools - for example, they are going to want access to the HT leads to put their equipment on the end.

I went with RonF when he put his 1.8K SV through the SVA at Nottingham. As it passed first time I guess we would consider it a good experience, but the tester there seemed very knowledgeable about Caterhams, hopping in and out of it without trouble, spotting the partially hidden ignition key and he knew what all the switches did without asking - which was more than me!

Hi

I SVA`d my roadsport on the 31 oct in Beverly East Yorks, the car went straight through 2 niff naff things Headlight aim on one light and handbrake cable might move and touch drive shaft rh side just said to keep an eye on it

Cadbury Purple 1.6 roadsport

Tweeky

• 3 weeks later...

Success - second time round. I took the car to Mitcham last Tuesday - it passed on everything I'd done but failed due to a slight fuel leak around the top of the fuel tank. This was later diagnosed by Redline (thanks lads) as due to a petrol pump with a slightly distorted flange. All sorted by Redline and CC under warranty, and the SVA passed within 5 minutes on its re-test this morning.

Overall the SVA was great fun - but a bit scary to see the 7 doing >70mph on a rolling road just to test the speedo.

C7TWB is now on the road, based in Warlingham. Let's hope Saturday's sunny 😬 😬 😬

Tim B