Click here if you are having website access problems ×

what mods for next season

Jason Plato

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob

What is being proposed has already been 'discussed informaly in the paddock' and that recommendation will not change before the 20th November, so there is no need to worry about your visit to MK.

I just do not want people to go the 176bhp route and then be disappointed that they find themselves in Classes 4 & 5.

As is usual in the 'close season' people are a little more stressed, read too much into what is said, especially when a few posts are thrown into the pot to stirr it up.

If anyone is worried or wants clarification please drop me an email via my profile.

Off to bed now to sleep off an enjoyable nights embibing *thumbup*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Mark,

Are programmable ECU's not allowed for 2006 in Class 3?

Although everything is standard on my 1.6SS , I have an Emerald fitted.

This means I will need to purchase a new EU3 engine loom circa £250 *thumbdown* to refit the standard SS EU3 ECU.

If this is this case, I would rather get my ECU changed ASAP.

Tony.

Edited by - TonyR on 30 Oct 2005 19:24:44

Edited by - TonyR on 30 Oct 2005 19:54:33

Tony

I am sure Mark will be along in a short while. I beleave that no dissision on regs have been made till the meeting on the 20th NOV.

I beleave the idea behind the no reprograble ecu is to stop big bhp 1.6k happening.

if the ecu is limited then this should stop this from happening.

David

Just kidding Dave *wink*

just stripping every thing down and putting it all back together again, with a few little tweeks here and there

as long as it stays infront of Granny and Geoff

maybee some serious driver tuision would be a sound investment

Dave

TonyR

The championship regs are to be discussed on 20th November at Gaydon. This will include the spec of cars in classes 2 &3 which we would like to keep as close to factory spec as possible, thus keep costs down, and making it easier for new comers to be competitive. Therefore, it is a possibility that reprogrammabe ECU's will not be permitted to avoid cars running 170+bhp K's at a cost of inexcess of £2K.

What I would say is that sprinting is great fun, you make good friends and the banter in the paddock helps make the day.

Come and give it a go and you will find plenty of people willing to help you before, during and after your first event *thumbup*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Dave

niether you or granny will stand a chance *smile*

horse power staying the same but am tweaking the aero-dynamics *thumbup*

I have it on good authority that lowering the front number plate and sticking sand paper on

the tops of the rear wings will make all the difference 😬 😬 *confused* *confused*

Jeff Smith

Oooh...m'lord......

Well, I'm just gonna make mine look nicer, replace the nicely patina'd wings, bonnet and scuttle, rebuild the car as she's feeling a tad 'loose' after another 30k miles this year, change the thermostat-which is stuck closed *mad*, change the oil, plug and...for the first time ever.. the air filter, oh...and the springs as mine are waaaay too soft...then if money and time allow, I'll have a go at changing the diff.....

then...I'll drive to wherever, empty the pasty wrappers out of the boot and find out that my puny 1.8 is no longer powerful enough as all you big bad cheaters 😬 😬 😬 have given DVA lots of money ☹️

Oh well....i'll still have fun winding people up 😬 😬 especially Richard 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Dannyboy *tongue*

153bhp and 184lb/ft ??????????????????? My arse *tongue*

As many of you will know the car below

is a 135bhp X flow

how much bhp do I need to get the car

competitive?

Or is there a class more suitable?

It would be nice to do some events

and get the car on the track.

*confused*

The CarThe Club Built

Vvvrrrooomm

• Area Representative

MarcNS,

how much bhp do I need to get the car competitive?

What do you call "Competitive"?

Sprinting is not necessarily all about power. Most of the sprint courses are more about carrying speed around corners rather than out right punch.

During the last three years, class 2 has twice been won by a standard 115bhp Academy car, once with the acknowledged low perfomance Avon CR322's. On these days the DRIVER beat the other DRIVERS.

Come and have a go. Don't spend ANY money on the car, just come and have a go. It's not unknown for people to spend significant money on "Upgrades" that don't pay off!

I agree 100% with Richard.

Regardless of how much power a car has got or whether it has the latest suspension mods or how much money has been thrown at it are to my mind totally secondary at the level of sprinting/hillclimbing that the club is involved in. The biggest single factor is the DRIVER. Without wanting to put anybody off, it will take at least the first year or so to learn the tracks. Don't forget, if you take Curboro as an example, the total time that a beginner will spend on track in their first year, even if they compete in both Curboro weekends in full (Club and Marshalls' Club events, two practice and two timed runs each), is less than twenty minutes - at just over one minute at a time.

How many sprinters here who have been competing at Curboro for years can honestly hold their hands up and say that after each run they don't get back into the paddock and say they made a mistake somewhere or wish they had taken such-and-such a corner differently and are sure that they can go faster next time? It's got nothing to do with the car - the car is constant. It's all about the driver.

Above everything else, sprinting is FUN and totally enjoyable, not just because of the adrenalin rush it gives but also because of your fellow competitors and the paddock p*** taking.

My advice to anyone thinking of starting sprinting next year is to save your money and forget the mods. Do enough to make sure your car complies with the regs and go out there and ENJOY IT 😬

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

I agree with Richard and Kipper. Save your money on modifications and come and compete and enter as many events as possible. It will take you at least one season to learn the venues and only then you will start to appreciate how your car can be improved. I used a standard 1.6K Supersport (135bhp) in my first season of sprinting and was reasonably competitive, learnt a huge amount, but more importantly had great fun and made a number of good friends. Let me know when its your first event and I'll find someone in your class to help you through the day *thumbup*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

• Area Representative
Let me know when its your first event and I'll find someone in your class to help you through the day

That's a very good point!

I'd been spectating at speed events for many years before I actually got to compete. I followed the direction in my final instructions, but should have arrived an hour or so earlier, so that I would have been ready for scrutineering, signing on, new drivers breifing, had chance to walk the course, and been relaxed before my first practice run! I was ready for none of these, and was late in the queue of trafic for my first practice!

I can't stress enough, the benefit of finding a mentor to help you through your first day!

Walking the course, with someone that knows how to drive that track quickly, can save much more time than a sack full of horsepower.