Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Door Armrests

David Brown

I know it adds weight but decided to fit armrests to save struggling with poppers - although good fun fastening the passengers when she can't reach behind her because of her chest!

Can someone who has fitted them confirm if the escutcheon just slips between the trim and chassis tube without any fixings. Also does the stud in the armrest just drop through the hole in the escutcheon and trim and not latch into anything?

I think the escutcheon sits on top of the trim and is rivetted htrough the trim panel to the chassis tube. The stud should latch onto it quite firmly.

I've never fitted mine though - bought them and fitted one escutcheon before finding out that they don't fit with a full cage....

Martin

Roadsports B

If everything's under control you're going too slow (Emmerson Fittipaldi)

Or your pants are too tight.(DB)

I fitted mine with the escutcheon plate behind the rubber welting and the ali inner panel. The doors seem to clamp onto the escutcheon just fine. I'll take a pic and post a link later today.

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics here: here

• 11 months later...

Hi,

Please can someone confirm which part of the armrest faces towards the front. In the instructions it states that you need to line up the arm rest stud with an existing rivet in the side panel (which you then drill out) - but for older cars a hole might need to be drilled. My car is 2005 and I cannot line up a side panel rivet which ever way the armrest is facing. I just don't want to start drilling before I'm sure 😬 The instructions also state that a 6 and 7mm drill bit is a required *tool* but never mentions them in the instructions - only a 4mm drill bit *confused*

Thanks,

Robin

Hi all,

I have the armrests fitted to my 7 but the passenger one will not stay in place.

To my horror ,when I was on my own I noticed that the arm rest was flapping and the rear popper holding the door had also come loose which meant that the door nearly flew off..This meant holding the door while slowing down and not changing gear.

Can I get a new fixing kit for the door/armrest.(I reckon I need the bit that goes into the frame.)

Thanks

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have now received the new escutcheons but they are completly different to those on the 7. Mine are a lot smaller with 2 screws which are used to attach them to the frame. The new ones seem to have been redesigned . 😳

It looks as though I will have to remove a couple of rivits to fit them in place which is a tad worrying.

I may be stupid but it seems that these escutcheons dont seem hold the stud in place..are they guides??.

Sorry to be so dim!! *confused*

Steve..

S777 XTC..What a brute...

That's the conclusion I came to when I fitted mine, so the only answer was to put a drill of the right size, carefully into the hole in the plate and open up the ali. panel behind it. Worked a treat. Stays clipped in all the time now. *smile*

Paul J. Life is what happens, while I'm planning something better!

I have quite a lot of wear around the escrutcheon (wtf did that word come from?) where the lining up is not quite right. That said, they are a million million times better than using hte poppers, apart from the chesticle-groping capacities of the latter.

Tonneau fits just fine - the armrest hangs free outside and the traditional popper secures the door.

At speeds of around 90-100, with sidewinds, unless properly secured I have noticed the door's ability to fold suddenly in half.

My ... Preciousss!

• Area Representative
wtf did that word come from?

Middle English escochon, from Anglo-Norman escuchon, from Vulgar Latin scutio, scution, from Latin scutum = shield. See skei- in Indo-European Roots.

So there you go *smile*

I'm intending to fit armrests during the rebuild and wasn't aware that there was any other option than poppers . . . so I think I'll stick with that.

Crudders

• 3 years later...

Yep, fairly straightforward fitting them.

Just takes a bit of time making sure everything is lined up.

Drill 2 or 3? holes in the door and 'bolt' the armrest to the door. Then line up the escrutcheon thing and rivet/ screw the small plate in the right place.

They are good. Keep your right side dry as it holds the door tight as well as keeping out draught and keeping your elbow warm 😬

Stuart

• Leadership Team

I did it the other way round ....

Fit the escrutcheon thinghy, locate armrest as if fully fitted then mark where it should be on the door - remove and drill/fit fully *thumbup*

Finally remove the rear closing tab from the door, you won't need it.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬