Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Immobiliser recommendation

Andy N

In order to meet the latest Caterham approved insurance I am required to fit a Thatcham Cat 2 Immobiliser.

My Caterham is an older model (no fancy trickery or electronics)

Can anyone recommend a suitable unit?

Thanks - Andy

you could do worse than take a look at the TOAD INFORAD gatso detector thread, and call julian thompson. i believe he is in this line of work.

i have a "microscan" fitted by professional installer, at request of previous owner. simple transponder on keyring disables immob once keys are inside the vehicle. no buttons to press or anything. nice and simple. its cat2 rated.

TOAD have a good range IIR

Edited by - granteuk on 21 Jun 2005 17:00:57

Andy,

I'm intrigued that this is an insurance requirement (as opposed to a sensible precaution). None of the insurers of my '96 XFlow have ever asked for this - they have just accepted that it was built without one.

What car is it and what insurers?

Terry

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.

Point of order:

Unless things have changed recently, AFAIK, a Thatcham-approved device doesn't hold *any* certification unless fitted by an approved installer in accordance with Thatchams original sign-off.

...so the standard Rover immobiliser - although Cat2 certified in their road cars - is not certified in the 7 application...

Your insurance company can request a copy of the installation certificate and refuse insurance if they aren't satisfied.

I had a fair amount of grief (even with some of the common 7 insurers - MSM excepted) when I tried to insure the 7 initially as some of them were totally blinkered in their approach - they wouldn't accept the std. factory-fit immobiliser because it wasn't explicitly Cat2.

In practical terms, you should be fine.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Support Team

Myles - your post is a bit worrying. I am insured with Egger Lawson and when I first took out the insurance was told that the standard Rover immobiliser was acceptable. However I have just completed a renewal form that states Cat 2 required - I ticked the box to say I have it as I believed that it is Cat 2. If this is not the case then I could be in trouble if the car was stolen.

Anyone else with Egger Lawson and got any comment?

Yellow SL *cool* #32