Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting a Road Angel

mattobrien

I have decided that having had the Seven for three months now a sensible investment would be a Road Angel. Having had a look at the fittings etc that come with it, I can see that something more substantial may be needed to ensure that it actually stays on the 7 using enthusiatic use.

I would love to hear from any fellow members as to how they have managed to successfully secure their RA's. I am also wanting to use it in the tintop so I will need to avoid any overly permenant fixtures.

Thanks

Matt

Matt

I've got my (old style) Road Angel on the transmission tunnel in front of the gearstick. It just attaches with velcro pads so it's easy to remove but won't move a mm once when driving. It's easy to see when you're in the car but very discrete and neat.

I (or rather my dad, as I struggle to rewire a plug!) have taken a feed off one of the switches behind the dash and 'permanently' wired in one of the leads (leaving one for your tintop) that comes with the road angel behind the dash so it just drops down enough to be plugged in (in the Caterham spirit, lots of cable ties).

You need a separate GPS antennae (available from Blackspot) though, as the unit can't pick up a lock from under the dash/scuttle. Again, mine is just velcroed behind the passenger seat on the edge of the boot, and the wire runs down the back of the seat, inside the carpet on the transmission tunnel, and up to the unit itself.

Just one of many ways to do it, but works for me.

James

I can't provide a direct link to the page from work, but if you look up the RA in the Products section of my site, you should see a couple of ways of mounting it so that you can actually *see* the damned thing...

Mine is wired into the Autocom - and I do (at long last) know what all the beeps mean - but I still prefer it in near line-of-sight.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

James/Matt,

If you want, the remote antenna can be mounted under the nosecone (as long as you've got a fibreglass one and not carbon) as it can see through that. *wink*

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Matt,

I've stuck the cradle to the bottom centre of the screen, just above the scuttle. To stop the RA leaping off the magnetic base, I've looped a Ty-wrap round RA and cradle, with just enough tension to be able to slide the RA in and out (I use it in the Mondeo as well). This isn't an ideal set-up, as I can't use the sun-shield, but it holds the unit in place OK.

JV

Myself & fellow member have used a piece of ali plate which is easily shaped to RA dimensions. Fix to top of dash using tonneau screw fixings either line of centre. For added stability push plate just under windscreen frame before fixing.

Have used for 2 years without problem or need for separate aerial

Matt,

Just seen your reply.

I can take some digi pics & email - need to send from work though as my home connection is playing up.

If you can give your email address will send Tues.

Cheers,

Malcolm