Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thread stripped on Sump pan drain

Ozzy

Help!!

Anybody know someone who can cut larger thread in sump pan, and supply larger plug to suit. I'm near Aylesbury in Bucks.

Also, anybody know what the existing thread size is

Currently in a spot of bother. Any help would be much appreciated. I just hope I make it home ok, the plugs little more than hand tight.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

(keep forgetting to tell people what it is!)

Good idea Nifty, never thought of that. *thumbup* But any idea what the existing thread size is 🤔

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

Helicoil is the answer - had a similar problem with mine a couple of years ago & used a local chap the Thread Doctor. Unfortunately he's so busy he dosn't advertise & your out of his area.

He was not very complimentory about the quality of the Caterham casting (s##t I think was the word.)

Suggest asking local garages who they use. *idea*

Ozzy.

I've just had a look at a spare sump & plug I've got in the workshop.............. It's 19 teeth per inch (tpi) & .518 of an inch across the major diameter. My book on threads would suggest it's 1/4 BSP.

Caveat. I'm not an engineer, so dont go quoting me on this.

Hope this helps, D.

Edited because I omitted to say mine's an 1800 sump.

Edited by - Davesport on 11 May 2005 21:46:45

I think that you can buy Helicoil kits and do it yourself, but I dont know where from. Some years back a friend got his hands on one to repair the aircraft we had at the time. (the threads of a generator mounting point in the aluminium crankcase casting had stripped) It worked a treat. Therefore an aircraft maintenence company might be the best source of the kits.

Ozzy, Leon Smith did this to his HPC.

I got my daughter to run it over to a workshop near Heathfield, who fitted a steel sleeve with a matching steel plug. We gave them the sump in the morning and collected it that afternoon - £20 for cash.

Silly bugger then wiped the bottom out of his sump on some tall cats-eyes but until the plug repair was perfect.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Right. I've just finished draining the oil and dropped the sump. Does anybody know of a friendly engineering company within a reasonable radius of Aylesbury in Bucks, (maybe Milton Keynes as I'm working over there tomorrow), that could either helicoil it for me, or tap it out to larger size. I'd really like to get this fixed this weekend, as I'm working away next week.

Would appreciate it, if anyone knows somewhere.

Oz.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport