Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Interfacing a 'standard' PMR radio to Autocom

Myles

Has anybody successfully integrated a PMR radio with a 'standard' connector (twin mono jacks, 1x2.5mm for MIC, 1x3.5 for speaker) into an Autocom?

I don't think they sell a cable for this - only for specific (non-standard) radios such as the Kenwood and Motorola.

We made a lead over the w/e - and this gives me a listen-capability into the autocom, but despite trying a couple of lead modifications based on a cheapy PTT headset and based on a reverse-engineered Autocom lead, we can't get the radio to trigger into transmit mode (either by Vox or PTT).

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles

I have the same problem. I called autocom and they told me to bring the unit in and they would see what they could do. Never had the time to do this.

give them a call. Could you post back how you have got on.

Thanks

David

Tried that this w/e. Didn't work. Might be down to my cr@p soldering or maybe down to a variation in the resistor/cap sizes - but I haven't got the bits/patience/knowledge/time to build something that will:

a) work

b) work *reliably*

Anyway, I've given up and phoned Autocom. They have interfaced the Alan 456 before - it needs a modified Icom lead. Painfully-expensive at £27 (dunno if that's inc theft/shipping) - especially as I'll still have to knock-up a PTT lead (see www.pellgenesis.co(.uk/m)).

Ho-hum. It bullet-proofs the solution and gives me one less thing to solve before I go on tour at the end of the month.

Myles I agree the downside is that is is not cheap but then I am not an electronics person and wouldn't know what I was doing. I doubt anyone would make one for me any cheaper.

Alan and his Yellow and Green 1700 BDR HPC.

Well, got the custom Autocom interface lead yesterday and tested it...

...works a treat - although it must be stressed that this is *just* the interface lead and has no PTT switches etc...

...however, we'd already wired a PTT switch into the hard-wire power supply connector for the Autocom (see Adrian thingummies site www.pellgenesis.com somewhere in the technical section) and this worked fine...

...so, you pay big-bucks for the interface lead, but can claw it back by making your own PTT - it's about £5 for a new hardwire power connector (if you don't have one already) and then a pound or two (literally) for the wire and switches/buttons of your choice) *thumbup*

It'll all get written-up on the site eventually - got rather a long list of projects to complete/document first though (4-pot front brakes, wideband-lambda etc....)

Phone Autocom - they don't advertise every interface lead they've sorted out because they only want to push the radios they actually sell.

If it's got a 'standard' two-pin mic/speaker socket, the lead I got will probably work - I bought a standard/generic headset off the shelf for out-of-car use, and it worked fine.