Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tunnel top removal

Mr Locust is correct - slacken off the handbrake cable to allow the lever to be as near vertical as possible, remove the gearknob ( obvious ) then off it comes. Its is slightly spring loaded around the base but isn't secured by any other means.

And don't forget to remove the plastic sleeve from the handbrake handle and the gear knob *eek*.

If it's still resisting efforts to remove it what area feels fixed? Someone could have added a couple of self tappers perhaps at the rear into the rear panel *confused*

Steve.

You will probably have to get underneath to release the handbrake cable which allows the lever to point straight up.
I've found it's possible to remove the tunnel top without having to touch the cable, providing you're happy to stretch the handbrake gaiter very gently as it rides up the lever. But you do need to pull the handbrake up really hard first.

JV

• 1 year later...
For future reference for anyone looking here. After much pulling and yanking, the tunnel top would still not budge. By removing the passenger Tillet on my year 2000 R500 I found that the rear of the tunnel top was held in place by two self tappers - one each side. The drivers side one could be accessed by sliding the seat right forward. Once they were removed, the top slid off easily without disconnecting the handbrake cable (although I had to pull it right up).