Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aircraft Ignition Switch - Fitting

Nick Henstock

Right I am fed up with the Bl 🙆🏻 *mad*dy keys dangling from the lock jabbing in my knee, so I want to replace switch to the Aircraft style.

1. Best place to buy said switch 🤔

2. How do I wire it 🤔

3. What to be careful of

4. Will I need to remove the lock all together 🤔 - I still have the heads on the bolts *smile*

My car is 97 1600 K , I've got the competition kill switch fitted and a starter button.

Better For A Blat

> Best place to buy said switch

Demon Tweeks do them, no doubt the usual suspects like Grand Prix racewear, Merlin Motorsport, Rally Design also do them.

> How do I wire it

Check out the 7FAQ under the red starter switch section. You need to replace 15 to 30 with the aircraft switch.

> Will I need to remove the lock all together - I still have the heads on the bolts

If you have a steering lock then yes you must remove it or it will lock and you will crash. If you have a quick release removeable steering wheel then you don't have a steering lock in which case you could leave it on. But why would you want to? If you change your mind it's easy to refit.

Edited by - Chelspeed on 4 May 2005 12:19:57

I bought one at Stoneleigh for £6 including the actual switch (25A 12V).

If you can source a suitable switch, Maplin sell the red flippy-up bit separately for about £3.

If you have a starter button, you just need an on-off switch, otherwise you need an off-on-on switch (with a momentary action on the second 'on' IYSWIM!).

You might want to check with your insurer about removing the steering column lock if it is fitted - this may be required as part of your theft cover...

HTH

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 5000 miles completed!

Did you know, CC charge over £40 for these 😳 😳

Needed to replace some wheel nut washers that I had lost and needed to make the order over £5 so thought circa £13 (which is what DT charge) for a switch would do.

Needless to say I bought a spare oil filtre instead *tongue*

W.Nut *thumbup*.

Rosso Superlight no.087

Nick

Have a look at Myles web site tells you all you need to know.

I fited mine were the flashing led is in the centre of the dash and driled a new hole below for the LED. The switch lies horizontal ratther than vertical. Hope this make sence?

David

Nick Its best that the switch powers a relay so that the main power goes trough the relay (30 amps or more ) the switch itself will be max 25 amps unless u can find one with silver or platinum contacts but those will surely more than 5£.

I have a 70amps relay gaterhing dust so if you need it i'll send it over.