Click here if you are having website access problems ×

xflow misfire

Peter R Shaw

Had the same symptoms last year with my x/f, it also felt like I was hitting the rev limiterat about 4K revs - turned out to be the wires connected to the alternator. They looked OK at first glance and were securely connected but had 'cooked' and fractured inside the insulating plastic.

Hope this helps

Could be so many things, plugs, leads, coil, distributor, ignition, fuel.

If it is something that happens everytime, maybe a good idea to put it on an engine analizer, Crypton etc. Should be able to pin point the problem. You could spend a lot of money changing things that are OK.

Cheers J&J

Had the same symptoms last year, in the end it was a plug breaking down. I changed the plugs and the HT leads and it cured it! The leads should be changed every couple of years anyway as the performance will drop off. Chasing odd misfires under load from leads/plugs is SUCH a pain that the small price of new ones is well worth it.

Had the same symptoms last year with my x/f, it also felt like I was hitting the rev limiterat about 4K revs

Me too. - at the moment - doesn't always do it either *thumbdown*

Watching with interest.

L7 EVN

I had the same experience as ChrisD, and had the wildly swinging tacho - except mine eventually stopped altogether - just outside Spa... Riding home on a low-loader was great - NOT. You can't see that the wires are cooked, but it is worth while re-routing them as far from the exhaust as possible. My local motoer facto had an alternator plug which allowed me to re-route the (repalced) wires straight down to a bottom chassis rail. No probs since

• 1 month later...

mine's still doing it - (getting worse now) - where do I start ? - more of a DRRRRRRRRRRR when you are under full load, at any revs 2500 *arrowup*., but of course, a few seconds later - it might not do it again for 5 minutes! *confused*

Oh - and to add, when it's doing this, the tacho needle jumps too!

Like someone's flicking an on/off switch very rapidly.

*confused*

L7 EVN

Edited by - Tim_H on 27 May 2005 07:43:28

*arrowup*the problem isn't the tacho AFAIK, it's just that the tacho 'bounces' when the engine's misfiring.

Also noticed that it does it either when the engine's hot or cold.

I'm moving away from the breaking down coil / plugs / leads theory, and thinking more broken wire theory, that sometimes contacts and sometimes doesn't.

L7 EVN

it's not unknown for the transistors in the tacho to fail.

But would that cause a misfire?

It seems that the 'bounce' is an effect of the misfire, and like I said, it comes and goes. (might not do it for 1/2 an hour)

I'm erring towards a bad connection - somewhere.....

L7 EVN

Hi John, the transistor in the tacho could be failing in a partial manner, they don't necessarily work or not work (go, no go), if the supply side (+ve) is being shorted to ground by this device, in a partial fail mode, then some of the volts will get to the coil, to do the job of running the motor, and tacho, the rest will be lost to ground via the shorted side of the device, this will give unstable tacho display, as the signal is present / not present, and the same will be reflected in the ignition circuit, and the symptoms you describe of working erratically would fit with a transistor breaking down, very intermittent, and very difficult to pinpoint, as I said earlier, isolate the tacho and see how it goes, if it continues to run poorly, well you know it's not the tacho, if you do isolate the tacho, I would recommend removing all electrical connections from it, ie. both sides of the coil, as if it's shorting from +ve to ground through the transistor, and you remove the negative from the coil, this will have no effect on the fault, as it will find a path via the ground in the tacho, sounds like you've got a curly one there, but the collective wisdom on BC should be able to see you right, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

er, to add to this, my horn has started sounding all by itself. *confused*

so, I was driving home yesterday pm, beeping at everyone, making a complete knob of myself. *confused* *thumbdown*

The wiring´s certainly gone dicky somewhere!

Tim (In Menorca)!