Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil for running in

jonsharland

From Caterham tech help when I asked the question before:

Castrol GTX would be ideal for the initial run in period after that we offer 2 synthetic oils depending on weather you are using your car purely on the road or weather you will take your car on the track. You can get the synthetic oils via our parts department and they will

advise you of the best oil for your usage.

Roadsport build photo's here

Le Mans 2004 photo's here

One year ago I would have ignored this posting - but that was before I had problems of oil rings not bedding after a K series re-build. I had conbined rather smooth bore liners with Halfords synthetic and it was a seriuos problem. Horrible oil consumption and blow-by.

Dave Andrews and I rebuilt the engine AGAIN and did some serious honing of the liners. Dave then sold me two containers of 'Vauxhall 15w/40 mineral oil.

This has been run in the engine for 500 miles and all is 100% OK - clearly a suitable brew for running in

Holy cow!

Be careful out there - I used cheap mineral-oil for running PSC in - and (possibly in combination with some coolant contamination), it dissolved my sump-foam and ruined my bearings within 400 miles... *eek*

What would I recommend? Dunno - only thing I can think of (if wet-sumped) is to run-in without the foam and then put it back when you change to synth... ...if you dare.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles - I think your experience is very rare.

I used GTX for the first 1000 miles. Oil and filter changed at 20 miles (To get all the initial crap out) and at 1000 miles to Halfords 5W -40 "synthetic". No significant oil consumption at 30,000 miles in two years and the sump foam was Ok at the two changes.

Now dry sumped and using proper synthetic from oilman 😬

Ordinary oil is ideal for the first few miles to bed the rings.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

My new car just SVA'd and my first experience of a 1.6K. I filled up with a cheap Halfords semi-synthetic on the basis that 'any old sh1t will do' for the first couple of hundred miles to get the worst out - and then I'd worry about what to put in then.

But I think I've started worrying now - there are lots of views on this. I can just about comprehend how the numbers work in relation to oil grades - but what I don't understand are the differences between synthetic, mineral and semi-synthetic oils, and how they fit into all this - especially in the light of stories of dissolving sump baffles.

Ive just done the first oil & filter change at 300 miles after a major rebuild / upgrade with DVA. I was told to use a 5 - 30 mineral oil by Oily but then again I dont have the seaweed in my car so no danger of the oil eating it a la Myles. It poured out like water!! Seems that this helps the rings to bed into the liners.

Refilled with another lot of 5 - 30 cheap mineral oil .....Ford Super oil to be exact, to do the next 300 miles after which I will go to Silokine pro S 5 - 40 ester/pao synthetic.

I am looking forward to progressively using the full RPM range !!!! 😬 😬 😬

Grant

Black and stone chip.

Engine now running (thanks Oily!) Got the first 300 miles under my belt *smile*

here

It poured out like water!!

Yep - I didn't even need to warm the engine before dumping the last of my running-in oil... My naïve take on this was that mineral-oil really isn't that well-suited to modern high-output engines. Funny-that *smile*

...as to gradually exploring the rev-range, mine did that on Emerald's rollers - so I started using revs on the journey home - still on mineral.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Leadership Team

After Oily built my 1800K I ran it for 500 miles on Halfords semi-synthetic. Then switched to Mobil 1 *thumbup* 7000 miles on and the compression's spot on and it doesn't burn any oil *thumbup*

Stu.