Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Apollo Tank

wild bill

Is this a good idea to fit as i do the odd track day and dont want the expense of a dry sump (i don't run on slicks anyway) last trackday the car got a bit noisy after a while which was sorted with an extra half litre of oil as suggested by a race mechanic present. I understand how it works but is it a good idea and is it easy for a novice car DIYer to fit?

Haven't fitted one myself as I got CC to do it. Yes it's a good idea on a K engine. It helps knock out air entrained in the oil as a result of the oil pick-up pipe in the sump tending to be exposed when the oil moves to one side under cornering forces. Also contains an extra couple of litres of oil which all helps.

K engines are vulnerable to loss of lube if the Apollo is not fitted. If you glance at the oil pressure gauge when cornering in a car without one you will probably see the pressure fluctuate or drop sometimes alarmingly. It's well worth fitting in my opinion.

C7 CDW

Bill

Its fairly easy to do but you need to drill the cambox cover to take the vent pipe and also the chassis rails to take the bottom mounting plate. This needs to be pop rivetted to the chassis.

Getting the pipes to seal at the oil filter end can be tricky.

There are lots of threads available on Blatchat giving good advice.

Good luck!

pete

I did this recently and although fiddly and time-consuming it went on ok.

A few things I learnt were:-

- you may need to remove a small amount from a lug that sticks out of the block (I beleive it depends on your engine year ). The only thing that does this easily is a burr in a Dremel or similar -the 'stone' grinding wheels just clog up immediately. A good tool supplier will sell you one , but most general DIY stores dont stock them

- do a loose fit of the sandwich plate and main oil hoses, then tywrap the hoses tightly together before taking it off the car to tighten the hose unions. This stops the unions moving slightly as you tighten them up so that it doesnt fit back in properly

- do the unions up tight otherwise they may leak, and you cant get a spanner in the space available when they are on the car

- the Apollo drain plug is prone to leaking as there is no washer on it - either fit a suitable one or use Hylomar and/or ptfe tape. I used hylomar but it still leaked so undid it a bit and used ptfe tape, which seems to have fixed it

- dont overtighten the oil temp sender as others have damaged the tank, i underdid mine and it leaked so its a bit of a trial and error thing

- if you are thinking of fitting a low oil pressure warning light, do it now otherwise you'll have to wait for the next oil change (like me ...)

There are a few photos of my installation at http://nickwoods.fotopic.net/c464554.html and on Angus and Tessa's site at http://www.mycaterham.com/66828/67348.html

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Edited by - Nick Woods on 4 Apr 2005 12:00:06