Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spring Rates for Live axle car

jonboylaw

Anybody recommend spring rates for a 92 live axel, X-Flow. Genreally looking to tighten up the handling and will be used for Road and some trackdays.

Not sure of the current rates but the car lifts and dives under acceleration and braking and does roll quite a bit in hard cornering.

Also any one know a good (cheap and reputable) source for such springs (Also require the lenths and diameters with the rates).

Cheers,

Jonathan

-----------------------------------

1db too loud ?

Got the Raceco, fixed the gasket *thumbup* *thumbup*

I would strongly recommend the Freestyle spring setup. I used this on my LA and it firmed up the handling no end (although I also upgraded the dampers at the same time). Rates are undisclosed, but they are 'stiff' *smile*.

I am going bike-engined, so I will need softer springs and will therefore be selling my Freestyle springs - if you are interested, send me a mail...... They are in A1 condition.

Got the guitar, got the keyboard - now got the engine 😬

Hope you don't me adding my 2p worth - but don't forget that if you stiffen the springs, the car will sit higher as they won't compress by the same amount with the static load of the car on them.

This isn't a major problem, but it may well effect the handling and can introduce bump steer, incorrect rake, etc.

The only way around it is to have adjustable platforms on your dampers so you can re-set the ride heights after changing springs. (or be luckey and have the circlips inthe right places on Bilstiens)

For what it is worth, I run 300lb front springs and 115lb rears on my live axle car...

Phil Waters

jonathan,

i haven't changed the springs on my live axle car [later 99 vx engined model]. but i did upgrade the front suspension setup to include proper upper wishbones, and a 1/2" arb.

this has proved much better than the original single link, with connecting 3/8" arb..

more stable under braking, and less roll on turn in.

i have the non-adjustable bilstein dampers, and run the spring platform set on the middle groove, both front and rear.

yeah, like that.

but without the freestyle arb. i just got a standard 'orange' arb.

other bonus of the proper wisahbones is adjustable camber, which you cant do with the old top-links.

i have yet to fiddle with the setup though. which i must do, cos car is handling sh17 just now. tracking set by me, by eye.. 🙆🏻

I might as well take the opportunity to replace all the bushes while I have the Springs and dampers off. The list goes on......

Phil, was the wishbone replacement easy? will it work on an LA car? or only a DD?

Jonathan

-----------------------------------

1db too loud ?

Got the Raceco, fixed the gasket *thumbup* *thumbup*