Click here if you are having website access problems ×

No Engine number?

Terry Field

I have just received the new Registration Certificate,but some of the details are wrong because I have just changed the engine from a 1600 to a 1700 using a new block.

The new engine doesn't seem to have an engine number stamped on the block where it usually is (611 block). Is an engine number necessary for DVLA or can I just delete the old number and leave it blank?

Terry

Q783 OOR. Team Lotus colours with flares.

Myles, I wonder why DVLA want a number? I can understand that they may want to be able to identify the chassis, but engines can be (and often are) changed at will. The only reason I can think of for having an engine nmber is to help identify the car if it is nicked.

I'll have to think up an 'appropriate' number *tongue*

Terry

Q783 OOR. Team Lotus colours with flares.

For an engine which has already had a number...........yes......but what about a new engine.

The zetec in my Birkin was STORM00007 or something like that, having been built by Storm Performance.

So obviously they made that up to suit themselves.........

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

I was being a bit anal in my last post 😳. .. . . Roger King makes his engine numbers up as well.

I guess as long as there's no deceiptful intent, there's owt wrong with making one up.

terryfield: If I were you, I'd just change the cc to 1700 and leave the engine number as it is - it's the same engine after all, it just has a new block which doesn't display a number.

Getting there.... *smile*

My Chesil Speedster has a bespoke engine which has no engine number. The registration cert just says engine number unknown.

All K series lose their Rover engine number when the block is modified to fit the starter. Caterham stamp their number on the bearing ladder.