Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Camber measurement/adjustment

LazerBrain

the majority of tyre fitters will only measure toe-in and not camber/castor. However, there are a few places around Reading (Bulldog, Twyford was one) that will do 4 wheel alignment but as a quick check get an ordinary spirit level from B&Q (about 8" long will do but 12" (30cm) would be better) - then on a level surface and with the wheels pointing straight ahead (I used my garage) camber of 1 degree is about 3.5mm offset on an 8" spirit level or 5.3mm on the 12" spirit level.

These will need to be approximated to using spacers of the appropriate thinkness - drill bits spring to mind (3.5mm or 7/32" respectively).

This will tell you if they are way out! It is not accurate enough to set them by though.

However, Bulldog (above) wanted about £130 for a 4-wheel alignment where the factory will do that with corner weighting for £175 - and there have been many links to other 3rd parties in blatchat that will do similar services cheaper.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Darren,

Camber can be checked to a reasonable degree of accuracy with simple tools. I checked and adjusted mine using a £9.99 builder's square (2ft x 1ft. 6") from B & Q and a long (4ft) and short (6") level.

It's a bit fiddly, but quite do-able.

1. Using long builder's level check difference in level where front wheels sit on your garage floor. I marked the positions with masking tape and then used 3 sockets (virtually identical in length) packed up with washers to bridge across from each position. I established that one wheel was sitting 8 mm lower than the other, so packed up this wheel.

2. So, car is now sitting with front wheels level.

3. Set builders square up to wheel and pack the leg (of the square) along the floor so that it is level, using the short 6" level. Square should be lightly clamped to a block of wood to hold it in position whilst jiggling it around. When leg along floor is level, then vertical leg is truly vertical.

4. As it is now square to car front wheels, vertical leg can then be used to check the deviation from vertical of the wheel (camber) using a short ruler.

5. Measure to wheel rim at top and bottom as accurately as possible using the vertical leg of square as a reference. If camber is set at 1°20' as per design, then for a a 14" wheel, the top measurement should be 8.25mm greater than the bottom. For 13", the difference is around 7.75mm and for 15" wheel the difference is around 8.9mm.

Tolerance is 0°15' which is around 1.5mm so if you are careful, you can do a quite accurate check.

Measurements should be done with normal load in car i.e. driver!

I adjusted mine by taking out top wishbone bolts and spinning wishbone though you could break the top ball joint and spin the balljoint in/out. On my SV, the 'factory' setting gave me over 2 degrees or camber which was wearing outside edge of tyre.

If you need any clarification, feel free to e-mail me.

*thumbup*

Peter

Red Roadsport SV

FP53FHB

Hmmm... Wear on tire edges are Very often from A "toe alignment" problem..wear onna inner edges is typicallyl from Toe -in problems (It's counter intutitive:-) These can show significant wear after only hundreds of miles..

Camber problems also cause edge wear patterns.. BUT these are usually visible after 10's of thousands of miles.

Decide which fits yr situation before you chasing the wrong problem.

Darren

I'm going to be doing my camber on saturday, give me a call if you want ot drop round and do yours at the same time

for tracking I would suggest you just pop up to Bracknell Tyres and get them to check it

Not usre about settings, I'm going of .25 degrees negative camber and 15 mins of toe out but I suspect you'll want 15 to 30 mins of toe in

Mark

Interesting point Bare - the wear has appeared after ~350 miles. Chatting to Steve & Phil at the Phoenix meet last night it's possible that the camber is fine on that side - and not enough on the other *confused*

Mark - cheers, I'll take you up on that offer. I'll give you a call later *smile*

cheers,

Darren.

*thumbup* Peter for the measurements & to Mark for his time today.

It turned out that there was about 0.25deg on the left and about 2deg on the right wheel. This has now been corrected so the next step is to get the tracking checked. Oh, and the steering wheel re-aligned *wink*

cheers,

Darren.