Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery position

Sootysevener

Like many I'm stuck with a battery tray beneath the webers. Pig to get at and i dread the prospect of having to replace it - looks like an engine out job.

Where else can the battery be mounted. Ive got a heater so no room in front of the scuttle. I dont fancy relocating the oil/ water catch tanks from above the starter to move the battery there even though the primaries are wrapped I think the battery would cook if palaced there.

Anyone put theirs in in the boot? If so do you need heavy duty cables to manage voltage drop

David

1989 1700XF SS with upgraditis

Get a Red Top 20. It's so small it slides in tween footwell and bracket.

See other thread on batteries for details.

If you tip a lead/acid battery to get it in, the acid will run from one end to other. The dry cells will fail in about 18 months.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You can still get the battery out with the engine in-situ, but it's a bit of a fiddle. The next time mine goes I'm going to put it behind the passenger seat to get a more rearward weight bias. I put in a box for a toolkit, which I don't bother with, and I just hope it will go past the chassis tubes.

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,100 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 25 Jan

Jack the front of the car up nice and high. Undo all, and then grab it and tilt it at an angle so it drops out the bottom. No need to undo the carbs or anything else etc.

Top tip: Put a towel over the top should any acid feel like coming out.

Installation is the reversal of removal.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

I had a Torque Start battery for a while, positioned as you describe, under the carbs, but with a bit off jiggery pokery it could be removed from below the chassis, hope the battery tray is in the correct place, so no need to start fretting yet ! ! !

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.