Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Latest X Power Plenum

Mr Locust

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I'm really late to this one, and had suggested to Rob offline that I was too much of a numpty to understand it anyway, but I have just skimmed the other posts and have one thought on X-flows.

Rob has (on several occasions in the last year plus) suggested that all steel 1800 X-flows should not be in class 3 and i have to say that as a X-flow owner I agree.

From my extremely limited knowledge it seems to me that to get a very powerful 1800 X-flow you have to spend a lot of money and time tuning it and that gets you 170 + BHP. Now if class 3 is supposed to represent close to standard cars of both K's and X-flows then these are surely outside of the spirit of the regs. *confused*

I'm guessing if you spend £5k taking a K to 1900 CC plus and 170 bhp plus you couldn't do it and stay within the rules of class 3 so why can you with the X-Flow?

My car is a virtually standard 1700 and I was not a million miles away from the 1600 K's and I suspect the majority of the gap is me not the car. Doesn't seem fair that I can throw money at my engine to get 180 BHP and stay in class when the K boys can't.

I now stand back to await technical arguments why all of the above is wrong....

Steve

Makes interesting reading as one who is yet to join your fold, but am hoping to do at least a couple of sprints this year *thumbup* *thumbup*

As a 1400 SS I shall probably put myself in Class 3 simply because I want to see and experience how fast I can go and I obviously will benefit in this regard from using my 032Rs. If it's slashing down I believe I have the option to downgrade my tyres to RE720s (to give me a little more confidence in the wet).

My objective is a little different to some, since I will not be contesting the championship. As a complete beginner with agricultural gear changes I expect to be at the back, thus just me against the clock.

I would like to point out that from my experiences with windscreen and aeroscreened cars that the aeroscreen does make a difference to low speed acceleration for the lower powered cars. So even at Curborough I'd have thought that there would be an advantage from the start and along the short straight.

Feel free to bury me for my ignorance 😳 *tongue*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 23 Jan 2005 13:49:43

I haven't been anywhere near Blatchat for months (combination of sulking through the off season, hibernation and earning a crust), but imagine my glee on seeing this thread on my return - excellent, nowt's changed and I haven't missed a thing 😬 😬 😬

Looking at the issue rather parochially, Class 2 proved to be a fairly level playing field last year with a good mixture of cars that had a decent chance of honours. Thanks for the kind words Mike S and Graham P - but it's worth pointing out that my times were beaten by drivers of Class 1 cars more than once. It's not all about the car. Even an octogenarian pedalist of a Ford powered bath chair snatched a trophy position from me at Llandow 😬. And that still hurts 'cos I couldn't go any quicker!!! And before you say a word Mr S, I've got a lovely photo of you and ijk with warm knees at Brands!!

Anyway chaps - happy new year. Looking forward to catching up with you all in April to resume the general pi$$ taking and tomfoolery. Oh, and for the record, my car really was a bog standard 1.8SS (with the exception of an uprated master cylinder) last year. Course, this year things are different...................that'll get Pricey fired up.........

Andy Nicholls

C7 AJN

Andy, I wondered what had happened to you!

I think you really ought to take more interest in how your car works - then you might not frighten yourself and the big trees just off the tarmac so often 😬 😬

Don't worry though - I will look after all the mechanical bits of your car - honest 😬

I assume cash will help the relevant negatives get lost??? Not fair to make fun of the elderly!

Mike

That's better - the keyboard just gave up the ghost, hence the cryptic reply above. Looks like I gave the pot a good stir 😬

Steve R - I'll drop you an email from work tomorrow morning (all sorts of woes on my home pc that mean I can't do it now).

Don't worry Mike - your little secret is safe with me 😳 (until the next time you beat me).....

OK Richard - if you really don't want to know 😬.....

See y'all soon.

Andy Nicholls

C7 AJN