Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best Road Tyre - Yoko 48R or CR500 ?

frankyknuckles

Due to an already very busy calendar for 2005, it looks like most of my blatting this year will be on the road with an odd trackday thrown in for good measure. I have been running Yoko 48R's on 13" wheels (8" rear 6" front) and the time has come where I need new tyres.

If my bad memory serves me correctly, I have managed 3500 miles on the 48's and 4 track days.

I suppose for this year I am after value for money, so I'm considering if 500's (even though they cost more) will give me a longer life span? The 48's are a medium compound, but I think the 500's are a softer compound so I'm a little confused on the potential wear rates.

What would you recommend for predominantly road driving *confused*

www.R300.net

the cr500's are a lot more expensive I think you will struggle to get the 175's for I doubt you will get double the life out of the cr500's! and they have a tendency to wear quickly on hot trackdays when pushed from my experience...

there is a new softer compiund coming out for the racers but this sounds even less suitable.

I have never used 48's but for VFM I think they may be best

48's are IMHO the best bet. In theory they will actually last longer ( wear rate index is 3x that of the 500's) and they are a lot cheaper. Having recently changed from the 500's ( 48's specced for the Grads this year) have been very impressed so far

MikeW

Mega Grad

Yep - never heard that before...

One of the great things about the CR500 is that it doesn't dramatically change character between the dry and the wet - it retains a high amount of grip and doesn't (in my experience) become unpredictable...

The only 'issue' I can see is that the tread-depth is very shallow (6mm?) to start with - so it's never going to be terribly happy in standing water.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

If I had to choose one tyre only, I'd use CR500's - 15" CR500's seem to work well in most conditions - I used them once at Cadwell and kept up with a few slick shod cars without too much difficulty. No experience of 48's though. CR500's were ok in the wet - better than 032's, but never had a good tyre in the wet - one day I might try cut slicks butCR500's have been they best wet tyre I've used so far.

Neil Cavanagh, I think I need to add a small caveat to your comments. You talk of TDs in Wales. I am presuming you mean Llandow here. In that case I would agree that the wet grip of 32Rs is very good, though I think that is more down to the tarmac at Llandow. I've done wet sprints at Castle Combe and part-worn 32Rs gave me no confidence at all, and that was avoiding the puddles.

If you mean elsewhere in Wales, ignore comments above.

Am surprised to hear that CR500s might not be much cop in the wet. I thought that was what they were particularly good at. In fact, given my Combe experience above, I'm thinking of getting CR500s as track/sprint tyres, as it seems like 50% of the sprints I do seem to be wet at some time, and I'd like better grip in those conditions.

I don't feel I'm good enough such that the extra second or so of dry track performance available from 32R/48Rs will make that much difference to me. Only one way to find out...

I find my CR500's better than the Yoko 021's that I replaced them with.

I was out in the big rains that came in Nov and had to drive through very deep water / standing water at speed. So much so my oil pressure warning light started to glow and water came up though my cockpit drain holes! Doesn't normally do that.

Driving normal the 7 was sure footed and predictable. Over use of the right foot ~200bhp and 205's / 8" rims could of course have an affect!

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

I have 4 year old yoko 520s on my seven 195/50 15s.

Will yoko 048s make a big difference? At the moment I have no traction/rear end grip unless I am gentle . Not gentle v often 😬

If they will are 13" ones better than 15"?

Zetec powered supersprint in brg waiting for spring

graham , thanks! If 048s are worse than 520s in the wet eek

I havent driven the car on warm dry roads having bought it in late October so I dont know what its like when there is some grip. Its amusing but slow in the current conditions.

I presume then that Cr500s are better in the wet?

Zetec powered supersprint in brg waiting for spring