Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jack

rynicolson

You may have a slight problem here. Halfords sell a more than adequate trolley jack but you may have to do an initial part lift with a standard scissors jack first. Alternative is to initially drive the car onto a couple of pieces of suitably placed wooden planking and then lift with the trolley jack.

John, thats exactly what I'm trying to avoid... pure lazyness but fed up with using scissor jack, also on my garage floor stability is an issue. Alex I'll try Machine Mart but at the likes of Halfords even their smallest is 20 - 30mm too high, plus I want to get some soft padding between car and jack... could be a cast of buying the smallest and torching off the castors but that sort of defeats the purpose a little!

<< ...about one of those low lever type jacks... >>

Do you mean a 'quick-lift'? They're fab for changing wheels. Always strikes me they're a touch marginal loadwise, but you're not exactly going to be crawling underneath the car...

You can get some nice alloy trolley jacks with a little roller at the front, but the ones I've seen are hundreds of quid.

How 'lazy' do you want to be?!

What about lifting points - where are they on the 7 - where is the safest place to lift from f&r?

I had the same problem getting a newly acquired Halfords trolley jack under my superlight - so I bought a 1 tonne scissor recently.

Does anyone know of a place to get a really lightweight (say 600kg), compact scissor for touring with?

I would think Machine Mart is as good as any as they do a jack which is designed for low access, the plate removes and it even has a quick spring action to lift to jacking height before you pump the handle - ooooher. Ideal if you are looking for the lazy and quick solution.

btw I have no affiliation with them although I should have shares with the amount I've spent.

very funny - yes a jack that's heavier than my car. What I meant was the scissor jack I bought was rated at 1000kg lifting strength and they did list in the product range a 600kg rated model, but the motor factor's couldn't source this one for me when I enquired further.

I use the Halfords trolley jack (13" on A032R's -1.6ss standard set up)

Cover the head with an old tea cloth folded over a couple of times to protect the chassis.

You can lift the car by hand for the extra 10mm (max) clearance you need to get it under.

As AVES says, it's easier with the nosecone off.

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

I just bought a giant Draper trolley jack from my local Charlie Brown's on special offer. Fifty quid. It weighs forty kilos and at full lift, you can practically walk under the car. It's slightly lower than my previous trolley jack, but still doesn't quite fit under the car without help.

I made some wooden ramps. A base plate of thin plywood, then a bit of 2x1, then a bit of 3x2. It's very easy (even for the lazy) to stick these in front/behind the wheels and roll the car up them. This gives the required clearance to get my new beauty underneath. The new jack's got a very large lifting plate, so I put a square of thin wood on it to protect the chassis.

Best front lifting point is the main crossmember that goes between the wheel centreline. Put the jack under the join with the diagonal and it lifts reasonably straight without any danger of bending the crossmember.

At the rear I use the A-frame bracket. I've seen people say "don't use the A-frame bracket!", but I've also had James Whiting jack my car up using this, and if it's good enough for him...