Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Towing a bike trailer behind a 7

Ken Y

I recently saw a 7 towing a small trailer, and got to thinking that towing a motorbike trailer might be a useful idea when touring to provide some extra capacity, on the basis you could leave it behind if going for a proper blat. Does anyone have experience of doing this? How does it affect handling? How did they attach the trailer?

Here are some examples of the type of trailer I was thinking of...

here

How does it affect the chassis...where does the towing hitch go?

Looking at my car I can't think of anywhere strong enough to use as a tow point.

I should think your insurance company would want to know too.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Lol Pilfold had a tow-bar fitted to MTV, not too sure whether he actually used it. I did hear he intended to use the rear half of a defunct Se7en as a trailer.

Personally I'd rather give towing with a Se7en a big miss as it rather detracts from the fun.

It would be in my top-ten things, not to do, before I die

If one was going to do it, I would use the rectangular plates that are under the fuel tank as possible mounting points (where an older type of rear ARB used to be mounted ISTR) and use these to fix a strut across the back of the chassis.

But the picture here shows what you can pack into a 7 pretty easily. This was our first big trip when we first got the car - 6 weeks & 8,000miles.

We regularly travel around Europe with camping equipment - we have a 'Carlton' waterproof plastic suitcase strapped on the rear wheel rack (don't bother taking the spare) and everything else is within the car, in plastic bags in the boot.

Big update!

here

77,777miles in 3 years

A better option is probably an adaptation of one of the "rollbar wheel carriers" such as Myles's here.

Oi *wink* I've only got a 1GB traffic limit per month... *smile*

Anyway, I've only seen 7-clones pulling trailers - Locosts and the like. I think you'd need to beef-up the rear chassis-members quite a bit to make it safe - and I think anything towed off the rollbar will be a bit micky-mouse really...

If anyone wants a wheel-bar though *wink*

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

You know, Angus. I've probably looked at that picture at least half a dozen times now, as I click on it every time you post on one of the "Where to pack all my stuff" threads, and it STILL blows my mind every single time how much crap you manage to wedge in that car. *thumbup* 😬

Anyhow, I've always thought a little motorcycle type trailer would be really cool for a seven, but every time I start thinking about it I kind of shy away from the idea because I'm sure I'd forget it was back there and go whipping around some corner with unfortunate results. I think it would be very do-able, though.

Dave

Or just buy an SV!!!! 😬 😬

I did a big camping trip round scotland earlier in the year. We got 2 people and all our kit in/on the car with ease. Get the big waterproof kit bags and strap them all over the roll bar, wheel carrier etc etc and you'll be sorted!

I'll be renting out spare boot space in my SV to the regular sized 7s on USA 2005!! 😬 😬

When I was at Le Mans a couple of years ago I saw a 7 towing a small trailer tent.

I concur with Angus&Tessa that the best way forward is to put a suitcase in the spare wheel carrier. It's also worth buying the hood carrier as this stops the hood taking up valuable boot space. It also gives you space to put several bottles of wine at the duty free.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*

Angus&Tessa,

Ah, but no spare wheel carrier on an R400...

The car I saw this on was definately a 7- followed it in my tintop at the time (Impreza P1) and it was shifting, even with the trailer, which piqued my curiosity- this thing was tiny- not much bigger than a decent sized suitcase- cant imagine it weighed much.

Will check out the various links. Cheers

Ken

Nifty, the box is easy to take off/on (see the other pics "OneDaySoon" dug out on my web site) and I made it specifically for the USA2005 tour next fall. It is bolted at the bottom to threaded bushings on the lower chassis tube and tied at the top to the roll bar tubes.

Maybe it turns out to be useful anyway to haul tools and stuff to a track day *confused*. Might even carry a spare set of wheels.

Gert