Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec TB's - Which Filter?

philwaters

Is anybody using a domed long single filter on DCOE style TB's on a Zetec? (like a Pipercross 600)

I'm being swayed that way at the moment, but I want to know what it looks like around the bonnet cut-out - does it fill the gap completely or just at the front, any pics?

I'm also being swayed along the 90mm trumpet length route, which I think means that I'll need the deeper of the filters, 125 internal. Anyone running these - do they fit?

My engine is currently out of the car, so I can't measure up!

Phil Waters

I did have to make the backplate myself.

The bonnet did not need any alteration from the standard cutout for K&N's.

Doubt I'llbe able to get any pictures in the near future (car is in a lockup a few miles away), however if my driveshaft issure persists I may be going over there this weekend.

I did have to make the backplate myself.

The bonnet did not need any alteration from the standard cutout for K&N's.

Doubt I'llbe able to get any pictures in the near future (car is in a lockup a few miles away), however if my driveshaft issure persists I may be going over there this weekend.

Phil,

Peter delivered my new engine complete with most ancillaries today including the filter and backplate you are looking at. I won't be fitting that for some time so do you want to borrow it and see how it fits?

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV. Gad these things are expensive

Phil: I have a 2L zetec with Jenvey 45mm TBs and 90mm horns. ITG made my airbox to order and made a backplate with the measurements I provided---said it was their first for a zetec/Jenvey. You will need the deep oval shaped box to clear the air horns. The longer horns are supposed to greatly increase low end performance and will necessitate a hole in the bonnet. Your motor will enjoy the cool fresh air. A pleasure to help you after the kind service you sent my way last week *thumbup* *cool*

If you use the 90mm trmpets you need to add at least 55mm to that for he ari to get in properly so you need a filter thats around 150mm deep ITG will deal direct and make you a one off to suit you needs

I went from a pipercross filter under the bonnet to an ITG through the bonnet added 4000 miles to the fresh engine and did another power run [same rollers etc] gained 12 bhp

Paul.

See My Car Here

Thanks guys,

Brent, popped over to Raceline this morning and have some 90mm trumpets and a deep filter, which I can return/swap if needed. Chris also made a copy of the backplate on some cardboard for me to use as they are out at the moment.

I guess I ought to get the engine back in so I can have a play around - need a gearbox for that though. Arrgghh... I'll never make a project manager *tongue*

Phil Waters

• 2 months later...

Hi again,

Thought I would drag this thread up after trying the filter finally over the weekend.

I can't see any way of making it fit my car. The filter needs to be so far forward that I would need to remove a large amount from the lip of the nosecone. This isn't a major problem in itself, but when I checked the bonnet line with a length of wood, I found that I would need to completely remove the front retaining clip and half of the middle one (making it useless).

Pete at Raceline made a passing comment when I picked up the backplate that they have this problem and that they normally fit the ITG one... doh - why not tell me that before I buy? Anyway, they said take it back if it doesn't work and they'll get the ITG one.

However, in the meantime, any pics of the ITG one fitted - from the website the clips look in a similar position, so will it help swapping?

Phil Waters

Phil

Just had to contend with this myself, came to the same conclusions you have early doors that the bonnet cut out was too short for a Pipercross or ITG filter, whatever I did the diameter of no. 4 trumpet would simply not allow the filter to fit without without cutting out the back of the bonnet, not the front. I spoke to several suppliers, all the views were the same, size does matter but it still came down to the fact I did not want to butcher my bonnet. A less deep one would fit but that would mean fitting the stubby trumpets and that was something I did not want to do. My solution has been to "create" some 70mm long trumpets that fit into my old 100mm K & N's. It is probably a bit of a compromise (how much depends on who you speak too) but the cost was approx £6.00 in bits and more time than I would like to think about. E mail me if you would like some piccies.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks, but like a muppet I've already sold my K&N's - Doh!

I don't have a problem cutting my bonnet to suit, but I can't see how I can get the front of the filter far enough back and low enough that the clips don't clash with the bonnet and nosecone - and thus need removing..... I positioned the filter with a finger width off of the chassis rail, so it can't go any lower, and the edge of the trumpet is against the inside face.

I'm just interested to see how other have managed it - what am I missing?

Phil Waters

Phil

I believe you can buy the foam filters without the names on, this allows you to fit the back plate upside down with the clips at the bottom (if there is sufficient space), had you thought of doing this? It was an option I had planned to pursue before I gave up very early on and took to the garage.

Paul