Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New driveshaft - doesent appear to fit my diff

julians

My passenger side driveshaft developed some play in the inner (diff end) tripod joint, I tried to find somewhere to refurb the old one, but everywhere told me it couldnt be done. So I ordered a new one from caterham.

Just tried to fit it tonight, but it appears the splined end (at the diff end) is about half an inch too short, and doesent engage properly with the diff. If I shine a light down the hole in the diff I can see two sets of splines, it would appear my driveshaft is only engaging with the outer set and the shaft doesent reach the inner set because its too short.

Can anyone shed any light on this? are there several types of driveshaft for the sierra diff? I didnt build the car, but I beleive it has a viscous 3.92 lsd from a sierra 4x4, does this use a different shaft to the rest of the sierra diff range.

Compared to the old driveshaft the splined end is indeed half an inch shorter

Or am I just doing something wrong?

Edited by - julians on 16 Dec 2004 22:05:02

Edited by - julians on 16 Dec 2004 22:11:10

Yep, I've done that, the new one is definately about half an inch shorter.

Will ring caterham tomorrow, see what the score is, just thought I'd ask on here in case someone else has been here before me.

I bet I have some wierd diff that was produced in small numbers by the ford pixies for a run of 3 units as some sort of strange experiment with time travel (or something similar).

hmmm, just spoken to caterham, apparently they should be backward compatible with the old ones, slightly longer in fact.

My new one is definatley half an inch shorter that the old one.

Just waiting for caterham tech to call me back to discuss what could be happening.

The plot thickens.

Just been to have a look at a mates diff whilst its out of the car, his is a 3.62 sierra lsd. externally it looks the same as mine, but internally it only has one set of splines not too like mine.

Does anyone know anywhere online that has schematics of the different sierra diffs, so I can identify what diff I have.

Cheers

Julian

ISTR that if these are the splines through the middle of the diff, it is an indication of your LSD type.

2 crossing at 90 deg is a ZF

1 on its own is AP sure track

I have seen a web page covering this exactly, but cannot remember where.

Hope this helps.

Might be tosh as well

Searching for the perfect pan

I exchanged the new Landrover driveshaft for one of the old sierra type on my previous caterham without a problem it was a straight fit. There must be something wrong with the new drive shaft that you have been supplied it certainley should not be shorter. If I were you I and in view of your problem I would ask Caterham nicely to refund you on the new shaft and ask them to send the old driveshaft back to the manufacturer GKN Driveline for a replacement joint to be fitted. It should save you a packet. GKN will not deal with direct be warned.

I dont think this caterhams fault. I'm starting to think I have some sort of non standard (for a caterham) diff, even though externally it looks the same as any sierra diff I've seen..

I definatly have the correct side driveshaft (i can tell from the thread on the hub nut).

Rather than continue to track down why the caterham shaft is different to mine, I've managed to find somewhere that says they can rebuild mine, So I'll send mine off to them for rebuild, and send caterhams back to them, hopefully this wont be a problem

I am pretty sure it sounds like a viscous diff, and hence not a standard fitting. All the viscous ones I have looked in have double female splines on one side and single the other, the shaft splines iirc are longer on one side than the other, so they reach the second set of female splines. I think the very end of each driveshaft has a groove for a circlip that keeps the shaft in place although these were not always refitted after repair, in Sierra's

Edited by - Graham Perry on 17 Dec 2004 16:26:59

A few years ago I looked into fitting one on my seven, but the drive shaft issue was the problem. It was going to be more expensive then to have the shafts made than to fit a torque biasing diff fitted which used the standard shafts, so I went down that route. I believe others have done it since, sounds like your car might be one.

certainly sounds that way.

Well, hopefully reco-prop (www.reco-prop.com) can re build my existing shaft for me, and that will be the end of the problem.

I'll update this thread when I've had mine fixed, so any others witha similar problem can find some answers using the search.

Rob,

Caterham won't consider refurbs for these. I was lucky enough that a fellow BC'er took my shaft *eek* into GKN Drivelines only to be told they couldn't do it as production for these moved to Germany a few years back and they don't have any parts left. ☹️

As I think I said to Julians on a previous thread (sorry if it wasn't you julians) but I got mine refurbed by Redline for around £80. Excellent prompt service and much cheaper than the CC price for a new one *thumbup*.

Steve.