Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fan not coming on?

Sandboy

Depending on your wiring, it'll either be the fuse, thermostatic switch on engine, a switch in the ECU, a dodgy connection, or of course the fan itself. Check the fan works by wiring it to the battery before you do anything else.

If it's stopping you from playing, just wire it up so it's on all the time until you get time to diagnose the underlying cause. If you do this, use a fuse, and you could even add a manual fan switch on the dash - very handy *thumbup*

After a hi-vis (pocketted side) driver's door if anyone's got one? *thumbup*

Another possibility which is actually what happened to me is that some "paste/stuff/gunk" (whatever you want to call it really) covered the fan switch inside the rad and heat insulated it so that it would not come on anymore.

Once removed and cleaned up I tested it in boiling water and it worked fine at 88ºC so I suggest you try that first.

In my case, since I never wanted to be caught with overheating/no fan again I also put a bypass switch on the dash (thanks again Chris W for your help) + a lower temp thermostat (I might go back to the original thermostat this winter though).

Cheers - Silaxe