Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rose-Jointed Track Rods

Harry Flatters

Having converted my top balljoint to a spherical type, I was wondering whether anyone has done this on their track rod ends.

What is involved - drilling out the taper in the steering arm etc?

What rod ends did you use?

Is there any built in adjustment for bump steer?

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Surrey Joint AO

If you are concerned about front toe stiffness, I think that the flexible part in the chain is the arm on the upright and the moment that the existing TR end puts into it. A good solution would be to make up some new arms that rise higher and have forked ends to take a ball joint with the bolt in double shear.

Why do you think that you have a problem? With front toe stiffness, stiffer is not nescesarily better.

Paul

p.s.

EFA - do you atcually dare drive that?

Paul you may very well be correct but what does "That cap head bolt in bending! V. bad practice..." mean.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most race cars, single-seaters and prototype (Le Mans style) use exactly this form of steering linkage? In terms of shear points, is it not pretty much the same as the standard setup?

Paul,

I'd suggest you look at the picture rather more closely - then establish if the caphead bolt is in bending. Its not. It purely holds the retainer washer for the rod end on top of the taper end shaft which actually takes the load.

Look at the size of the nut on the other end for a visual clue.....

Ex Fat Arnie

Hauling Less Lard....

Edited by - EFA on 30 Jun 2004 15:45:36

Spherical ends.. can be V dangerous.. A surprising number of semi pro (weekend) Racers and their Homemade Cars crash annually due to Rod End Failures. An ongoing adventure it seems. . Some fail due to being undersize, others due to allowable wear limits being exceeded. Neither is Good.

F1 cars get all theirs replaced after..Every..race.. Yeah an extreme situation , but they also use the V best of quality to begin with.. likely you are not :-),

is yr health/safety worth less? Or perhaps the Child you might run over.

Hmm, whilst it's potentially bad practice to effectively 'cantilever' any bolt, the material strength of say 375N/mm^2 for a grade 8.8 connection means, roughyl according to the back of some post it notes.

For a 16mm dia bolt, shear force required to fail bolt is approx 6 tonnes! ( i say approx)

The force required to bend a bolt of this diameter and grade will depend on the length of cantilever and at present I can't be arsed to work it out - sorry!! However, given the likely method of failure would be through fatigue failure, due to repeated bending action I would suggest that the retaining bolt is replaced occasionally!! How often is anybody's guess. I am a civil not mechanical engineer therefore have no expertise in this.

It's a regularly used method of fixing, however, it will not last repeated cycles of loading as well as the conventional fixing.

My two penneth! may be a load of tosh, but hell, who cares 😬 😬 😬 😬

Dannyboy - *tongue*back in blat

Ok, I stand corrected on the bolt, but, why did you go away from the original? It doesn't look any lighter, I suspect that it is no stiffer than the original TR end and will have a shorter life.

On something that critical, I would want to see a significant improvement over the original before making a modification.

Paul

Paul,

The Caterham TR ends foul the brake discs which shortens the TR life considerably dur to there being no dust seal on the joints bearing surface. The joints I have used have dust seals.

They are also a little lighter in weight.

Ex Fat Arnie

Hauling Less Lard....

Harry, did you get the top spherical from Goldstar Racing........is it any good. I assume you got it so you could adjust camber without splitting the top ball joint?

..we're all individuals.......I'm not

Andy,

Yes they did come from Goldstar and yes it was so that I could adjust the camber without knocking seven shades of sh*t out of my uprights every I needed to split the Ford Transit ball-joint.

The Gary Anderson bit is another story. If you wanted to discusss the conversion, feel free to call (work hours) 020 8642 0162.

Done mine with LH thread ball joints and an extension piece to the rack with female thread to suit the rack one end and female LH thread the other end to suit the joint. Loosen two lock nuts and you can adjust the tracking without disturbing the bolt thro the steering arm or the rack gaiters, very neat. Must work out how to put pickies up......

Harry

You should be able to see Graham's car at Loton and Curborough. Easy to spot, a rather bright shade of yellow with all the goodies on it you have always wanted but cannot afford. He has also replaced the top balljoint with a rod-end, no more struggling to split the balljoint to adjust camber.

GC *cool*