Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Do I Need a Cat on My Cat

Sue Dinnim

I am thinking of trying to locate a 4-2-1 exhaust for my 1.6K ss. Having spoken to someone last night they seem to think that as the car was factory built and registered in July 97 it will need a catalytic converter on the exhaust for the MoT.

Is this the case or can I get rid of it and run non-catalyst 🤔

It's almost certain that you'll need the cat back on to get through an MOT. You won't pass *legally* without it.

Having said that, i've taken my de-catted car in for 2 MOTs so far and it's sailed past both times - the emissions were checked but nothing done about the reading. My car's on a private plate though, so the combination of no cat and a K reg may be enough to fool some stations...

Seeing as it's only needed for a few minutes a year, i'd say put on the replacement collector and swap the cat back on at testing time. You'll may even be more likely to pass come MOT time because of less wear and tear on the cat. *confused*

HTH

Darren E

K80RUM Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 18 Jun 2004 13:33:16

Duncan,

There is always a lot of confusion about this and I've suffered it myself when a test station failed my car for the same reason. It led to a long drawn out process involving discussions between the test station and various government departments. I don't think any of them agreed with each other what the requirements are.

Although I didn't ever get a definitive answer, concensus was that Aug 98 is the date from which emission test is required but because the test station couldn't get a straight answer they refused to pass my car.

I took my car (May 98 1.6ss) to a different station and they gave it a visual only without question. 😬 Even better news was that the first station didn't charge me and the second one was cheaper 😬

Best advice therefore is to find a friendly test station that are used to seeing caterhams and you should be OK

Steve

Superlight #63

Edited to change the year of my car from 96 to 98. What age does senility set in *eek*

Edited by - Steve Cragg on 18 Jun 2004 14:11:09

• Support Team

July 1997 does not need a catalytic converter. There is no emissions test for pre-SVA cars. I was going to point you to the 7FAQ page but it seems to be password protected at the moment. Anyway, any car pre-August 1998 does not need to pass an emissions test (just a visible smoke test). My car is a 1997 model and has passed several MOT's without a cat.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Duncan,

If your car is kit built then the Aug '98 date is correct, but, if it was factory built then I think if it's after '96 (not sure of date, but it is earlier) it should be emissions tested and therefore need a cat.

Dave H