Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A new noise - Guess what

Frying Pan

Hmmm.....

600-odd miles on the odo (oil change at 500), and went for a great blat this morning.

Temps and pressures fine, and let everything get nice and warm before pushing on. Things were going great, until I had to stop at a roundabout...

Really nasty sounding rumbly 'dragging noise' from engine bay. Disappeared with a few revs, and / or with the clutch depressed fully. Couldn't really stop there and then, so carried on for 1/2 mile or so until I could get off the road. Sod's Law said the noise had gone *mad*

Did it a couple more times, usually when coming to a rest after higher speed travel. Again, Sod's Law came in to play when I got home and the noise had gone.

Is this the clutch release bearing giving me a VERY early warning - I though they tended to squeal.

Could it be the clutch dragging? If so, what should I do?

Any other thoughts?

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. Collected on March 1st!

Edited by - 7heavensoon on 26 Mar 2004 19:42:57

Guy - sounds like my 5-speed...

It's been doing this for the entire 9k of ownership (from 4k-13k on an ex-Academy car).

It comes and goes - more common when everything is hot - but it's not got any worse, and so I ignore it as a TADTS.

Mentioned it to Andy Mac (of McMillan Motorsports) when investigating what turned out to be a duff prop, and he told me not to worry about it.

Can't say I've tried adding revs to see if it goes away though - but pushing the clutch down certainly kills it.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

If the noise "Disappeared with a few revs, and / or with the clutch depressed fully" it's unlikely to be the CRB - let's not question the CRB for every little noise 😬

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Tony

That's what I thought (or hoped *smile*)

At first I thought it was just something vibrating, but definitely related to engine/transmission.

I'll have another look later in the week (any excuse for a blat 😬)

Thanks

Guy

Guy,

Mine does this and has done for the last 6 years. I always thought it was the Layshaft in the gearbox rattling when the car was in neutral and idling. Never occured to me that it was anything more sinister and was told it was nothing to worry about 😬

Noise goes when clutch is dipped or car pulls away!

Phil.

Mine is the same as Phils - it sort of grumbles away to itself sometime when its idling but goes quiet as soon as the clutch goes in or its put in gear. I've always assumed it was the layshaft and dont worry about it.

As your car is quite new it might be worth getting someone to have a look at it in case its a warranty issue

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

• Area Representative

I have the same noise (assume it to be lay shaft) which is more prominent when car is hot and it disappears when clutch is depressed. I understand it is a common thing and of course only noticeable on a 7 because of the nearness of the gearbox to the ear and lack of sound deadening. Incidentally it seems to be a more common problem if you have a lightweight flywheel.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

It is possible on a new car after a bit of use- I know because it has happened to me - to get the clutch yoke touching the clutch casing at full depression. This gives a nasty metallic dragging noise that goes if you ease the pedal back. It was cured by adjustment of the cable/bite point etc.

The classic gearbox/clutch rattle that goes away when clutch is depressed is caused by the gearbox first motion shaft. It is nothing to worry about. Cars with lightened flywheels tend to sound worse too. Info courtesy of g/box magician Phil Stewart of Road and Race Transmissions.

Plenty for me to go on here *thumbup*

It's not the normal first motion shaft noise - it's MUCH noisier than that ☹️

Tony - your suggestion sounds feasible - might have a play, as I need to adjust the pedal positions anyway.

Ian - throttle cable tie wrapped loosely to manifold, so I don't think its that...

Won't get a chance till Thursday at the earliest, so please bear with me!

Guy

I'm now 99% sure it's the clutch release bearing ☹️

Drove to work this morning and no noise. Driving home, and the first time I had to stop after a high-ish speed drive and the noise was back with the clutch dipped. In neutral with clutch pedal released no noise (well, only the normal ones!).

650 miles on the clock. Is this a record? ☹️

🙆🏻

So, will I do any damage driving the car with it in this condition. Obviously need to get it sorted, and will be on the phone to Dartford on Monday, but can I blat this weekend or not *confused*

Guy

The only thing likely to get damaged by a faulty CRB is the pressure plate. If it's a warranty job I would have thought CC would send a complete clutch in order to make sure the job's sorted.

Is it an AP or Quinton Hazel clutch by the way?

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

7HS,

Looks like your problem has changed... initially was reported as with clutch released, then more recently changed to sinister noises when the clutch was down ? *confused*

FWIW: I had the "clutch down" noises problem at c. 800 miles - Nasty dragging/grating sound when clutch down. I only heard it after the engine was warm, and typically I only heard it at idle. But I guess it's the only time I would hear it *confused*

The good news - I adjusted the clutch cable slightly. It was still there, but less, and only when *fully* depressed. A couple more turns, and [taps head] it seems to have cured it. Now done >1K miles ,including a couple of trackdays, and not heard it again. *thumbup*

Best of luck with yours...

Chris

Chris

Problem hasn't changed, but my memory has improved *eek* Noises definitely with clutch down...

Will try the clutch adjustment this afternoon (playing daddy this morning *smile*).

Got just over 800 miles on it now. Must talk to MSM about increasing my annual mileage 😬. Hopefully do another oil change in a couple of weeks to put some good stuff in, and then it's full revs for me....

Guy

• 5 weeks later...

I developed a similar noise at Heyford on Saturday. When coming to a stop, the car would develop a chirpy metal vibrating rattle (like something was rubbing together) it would stop when I depressed the clutch.

Is this CRB?

I called CC, and they will replace under warranty. But how do I correctly identify it?

The next time I drive the car will be at Silverstone a week today, so I'm a little concerned. How serious is a CRB problem?

Build Diary

Franky

Good to finally meet you on Saturday! Sorry I missed the presentation (Well done *thumbup*), but Tristan was getting a bit bored I think. He'd lasted very well though...

My noise is when the clutch pedal is depressed (my first posting said the other way round).

The noise is very loud, and pretty unmistakeable. I also get a 'chirping' noise when the car is being driven, which can be stopped by a very gentle touch of the clutch pedal. When the CRB is screeching, a couple of pumps of the clutch pedal seems to make it disappear.

Mine's been doing it since 600 mile mark (now at 1600!), and not got any worse. I spoke to Simon L and they will look at it at the 3000 service.

By the way, did you try any of the tips for preventing the kangarooing? Any good?

Cheers

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 1000 miles completed!