Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Duratech 2.0 or 2.3 Litre

MikeE

Durawest,

When was it you had problems with your SVA? The reason I ask is I'll be taking delivery of my Raceline 2.0l 220/230bhp Duratec within the next week and I was wondering whether they had improved the mapping/increased my chances of getting through the SVA 🤔

cheers,

Mike

R400 Duratec 230bhp *cool*

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackal

…definitely Tony, who else could/would spend that kind of money? He is off on a new project with his M3 CSL….

Re the gearbox, I believe Mic is investigating the elite box. What sort of power can it go up to?

I have ordered the Caterham Race springs (250/215) and the new Caterham adjustable shocks – the same as on Mic’s car. I am very interested in the Ohlins though, email me a contact number so we can have a chat. Mark_Hodson@hotmail.com

MikeE,

Thanks for the heads up; although Mic tells me it is all in hand …enough said.

Spoke to Chris at Raceline several times, and I am tempted to try it as soon as.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mike... do some searches, elite is a sequential 5 speed or 6 speed, very light, rated for 270 lb, not uisre about bellohousing but you'd need a custom linkage .. alex wong is your best bet for installation advice. Not much use for road driving though i'd say.

RE Dampers: the Nitrons and the AVO's sound great as do the new Caterham adjustable ones. BUt im just a bit of a name freak and have always wanted a set of ohlins dampers. There's no doubt that they are arguably in a league of their own quality and tolerance wise (even compared to people like penske) but this prolly won't make any subjective difference at trackday level but if it makes me happy then who cares ! I am looking into a single monotube and also a 2-way damper ,and just waiting for some info and graphs etc.. They are even more expensive than the nitrons though. 2 - way will prolly be more trouble than its worth ... i like the idea of fiddling and learning but despite the fact that ive been offered some trackside support it could get a bit messy.

"He is off on a new project with his M3 CSL"

hmm... like i say, his own worst enemy ! What he needs is standard elise or a standard superlight and then learn it to its absolute limit and in the process blow about 1/20th of the money.

Mike E,

January this year, but Weber did produce another chip which on my car at SVA still did not meet the requirements, but fortunately I got it through by increasing TPS voltage at idle. Still, Weber were aware of this problem as I believe I was (apart from Raceline's blue caterham) the first to attempt SVA. I'm sure your be OK, just ask the question with Weber and check the chip is revision 2.

Alternatively use a more customer friendly source for your ECU eg Emerald.

They have now mapped at least one duratec so base maps should be available.

You can also twek at the SVA test with a laptop if necessary!

New duratec powered build underway *New website soon*

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

I am using Emerald ECUs. A shame they don't make looms as well. They only supply a connector and a diagram. I have to make my own loom which is a major pain in the butt. Best part of a days work. Once I have made the first two I need for immediate requirements I will probably have one copied so that there will be Emerald looms off the shelf for Duratecs.

AMMO

Ian, you are correct of course about your Blackbird powered car, but there are also power to weight issues at work there.

I was merely commenting on the original post requesting opinions on a choice between a 2.0L or 2.3L Duratech.

Mike.

... and I was commenting on the (incorrect) implication that high flywheel torque equates to high acceleration which isn't true (with appropriately matched gearing, it's power to weight that matters). In this respect, choosing the 2.3 over the 2.0 on the basis that it has more peak torque at the flywheel is wrong.

Of course, if you were really saying that you should ultimately choose the 2.3 because it has a higher peak power potential than the 2.0 then, of course, you're right *tongue*

Ian.

hi IanT

l ain't too smart what does that mean " don' confuse the value of torque at flywheel over torque at driven wheel. etc... " can you be more school teacher *confused*

so when they talk about torque which one do they mean = flywheel or the "real" one at the wheel !! .

Bernard,

When "they" talk about torque they're always referring to the flywheel figure. Immensely confusing because the one that actually gives you acceleration (torque at the driven wheels) is affected by gearing, which in turn, to be well-matched to the engine, is usually a function of maximum rpm.

In general, if 3 cars that weigh exactly the same are installed with the following 3 fantasy engines ...

1. 200bhp@12,000rpm, 100lbft@9000rpm

2. 200bhp@8000rpm, 150lbft@6000rpm

3. 200bhp@4000rpm, 300lbft@3000rpm

With appropriate gearing (i.e. gearing that gives all of them the same maximum speed in each gear) ... all these cars will have identical in-gear acceleration, but all have completely different peak flywheel torque values.

Ian.

Edited by - IanT on 31 May 2004 17:13:53