Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Ecomony

Alastair Brown

What sort of fuel economy can I expect to get out of an SLR in normal road use? The best I get is 23 mpg.

Also, my temperature guage struggles to get much past 45 unless I'm stopped in traffic and never ets anywhere near 80. Is this common, or is the sensor faulty?

Thanks,

Alastair

The temperature problem could be that you're seeing oil temp aot water temp? Do you have a toggle switch near your temp gauge? A number of SLRs I've seen have the gauge switched to show water and oil temp alternately.

As for MPG, on a run I can just about get to Sheffield from Dorking on a full tank. Using the AA's Internet routefinder (as an aside this is quite handy, covers the UK and Europe and is free here) this equates to about 195 miles. 8 gallon tank gives just over 24mpg (I usually cruise at about 5-6krpm in top). If you assume I have a bit of fuel left then it's probably about 25mpg.

With a concerted effort it may be possible to get slightly better consumption out of it over long distances.

With an even more concerted effort you can easily get it to drop well below 20mpg smile.gif.

C7 AJM

PS I don't work for the AA. Honest!

PPS Nor do I spend loads of time figuring out how economical the car is smile.gif.

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 30 Apr 2001 12:52:35

I'm sad enough to keep exact records on fuel economy in my SLR

Best of 37mpg (all motorway, very cold, tears and snot froze above 70mph)

Worst of 17mpg (on track, driven pretty hard, but self-imposed rev limit of 7500 to 7750)

Average of 28mpg.

My temperature gauge is about the same - stays around the 60 degree mark whatever happens. I think this is water, as another SLR I saw normally showed the same, but showed 120 degrees when it overheated.

Also, I've never managed to get more than 5.5 gallons in it.

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure that the car was running properly because in the SV article in this month's Low Flying 35 mpg was quoted.

I don't think I'm getting soft. The hailstones were bouncing off my head on the Snake Pass yesterday morning! Strangely, every other 'sports car' had it's roof on.

Alistair

Basically, 23mpg seems very,very low to me. On the road I can't get lower than 24mpg, no matter how many demonstration drives I've given. 30mpg should be easy to achieve in normal driving. I did a track day at Wroughton recently and achieved 24mpg on a tank, with 90 miles of that on track.

But does it really matter? I keep all this to keep the tax man happy (honest). Over the course of an average year's driving, the difference in cost between 23mpg and 28mpg is less than 200 quid - I would just enjoy it

I've just done 120 miles at Goodwood and burned 11 gallons of Super, ouch!

Water temp was a constant 95 degrees and oil temp steady 110.

On the road I reckon I get about 30 mpg, and the water temp stays around the 90 degree mark.

Nick

Oh! But I don't have a SLR, just a humble SS. Ignore me, I'm rambling.