Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Early VX HPC

Geoff Johnson

Wife & 2 small children mean that I no time to use the car (also the garage is probably needed for prams/buggies etc etc)

So the spec, it is on a J plate & I am led to believe one of the first 3 VX HPC Carbs made, I have confirmed with caterham that it was supplied in component form to Andy Noble.

The current spec is metallic mid blue, yellow nose band/stripe & FIA roll bar with flares. Blue leather seats (drivers with 4 point harness), matching blue dash. Hood & bag, tonneau.

I have had the car about 4 years & in that time had a new hood, new side exit exhaust, 3d ignition, QED 42H cams all supplied & fitted by James Whiting.

2 sets of wheels & tyres, currently running on 13 inch minilites & yoko 21r's. In the roof I have the original HPC wheels & michelins (probably not much life in the those those tyres though). The car handles better on the 13inch wheels, but looks better on the HPC wheels. Your choice.

43,600 miles hence only £12,500

Geoff

J392PPD

VX & Flares the perfect combination!

Edited by - geoff johnson on 11 Mar 2004 09:12:17

Edited by - geoff johnson on 11 Mar 2004 11:44:39

I know it cant be changed but I would say its maybe the mileage putting people off.. dont know why though as a 14yr old vauxhall astra 2.0 GTE with 43,000 miles would be classed as low mileage and mint !

Hard to get this performance in a caterham for this price .. someone should snap up this bargain *thumbup*

I'd say price, mileage and flares in that order.

If you're in the market for an HPC, cars with 25,000+ miles start from £11k depending on condition.

So I think £12,500 is a little high for 43,600 miles. I'd try £11,995.

You don't see that many high mileage Caterhams. I guess people either hang on to their car or sell when the mileage is lower, the next owner gets a cheaper car and sells it on a little cheaper this keeps happening until you get high mileage and lower price. So if people see high mileage they expect low price.

It's an HPC though so get the price right and it will sell as people know the Vauxhall engine is reliable.

You could argue the regular usage will benefit the engine as too little use could be worse as gaskets can fail. (I had first hand experience of this on my 993 C4).

Flares aren't flavour of the month at the moment, most buyers want cycle wings (and a proper conversion including reskinning is costly). This shouldn't hinder selling a well priced car.

Parky

Geoff,

43k miles is nothing for a VX.

£12,500 is too cheap particularly as your car IS the first road HPC built as a customer and not presss car. (I saw it being built at the factory many years ago) IIRC it also has full old style S-type as well anbd this adds at least £1500 to the 2nd hand value.

Geoff,

Don't be mislead by anyone who trys to depress the market to their own advantage. They are screwing every VX owner.

Geoff,

Send me some decent digi pics and I will post them on the web for you so you an link to your ad.

The reason for lack of response is the time of year. It'll be very different in a few weeks. Hang in there.

Fat Arn

Slay the K.

11.5K is V cheap for an HPC irrespective of the mileage. As has been said earlier the XE is capable of galactic mileages. Mine is on over 77K with no discernable wear to the bearings. XE's in Caterhams tend to get looked after better than in say an Astra. Do they get abused more? Everyone I knew that had a 16V Astra in the early 90's caned them on a regular basis.

Flares might well be a problem - They will cut out maybe 70% of purchasers. Geoff - can I suggest that you put the HPC wheels on for the photo's that you send out. Irrespective of the effect on handling a lot of people think that the car looks better on HPC wheels particularly on flares. That said if you've got 11 year old Michelin pileups on them you might want to swap before the test drive *eek*

As Arnie says - Hang in there

Thanks folks,

certainly all essential maintenance (cam belts etc have all been done) as far as I am aware the car is hail & hearty, I have never had any problems in the 5 years I have owned it.

Point take on the wheels, I will get them out of the roof ready to fit .....

I did think that at this price if somebody wanted to change the flares they could do it & not loose out

Geoff

J392PPD

VX & Flares the perfect combination!

Edited by - Geoff Johnson on 11 Mar 2004 11:48:02

Yes, I agree with the others Geoff, get that price back up and hang on in there while the weather comes good.

What is always worth remembering is that these cars can always be returned to 'as new' condition for little money and a bit of effort, which in my book equates to a new car at half the price they are today.

Paul

Geoff,

My post expressed my views on the HPC market as I have been looking for an HPC for some time now.

I also understand Fat Arnie has a different view and personal interest to keep VX prices high(as I hope to have soon), which is fair enough. 😬

I did state that the price was 'dependent on condition'.

As Arnie stated it may be worth more to some if it was the first road built customer HPC and by the fact it has full old-style S-type trim (an option I and many others thing is worth having, but some consider unnecessarily heavy).

I'm looking for a different spec to yours and have located a car, I just have to wait till the present owner finds a suitable SLR or VX car he can use on the track.

I guess you've got to decide whether you can hold out for better weather and a higher price or need a quick sale. Either way I wish you luck. 😬

Parky

Geoff

Hold firm for your £12.5k.

As mentioned by others the mileage is not excessive for the Xe Engine.

Whilst Greg has attempted to redeem himself with his last posting his view is based upon someone who is struggling to secure a perfect caterham for Westfield money.

Greg - Have you considered a Westfield with Vx Engine?

Alternatively you could set yourself a realistic budget and jump on the Vx ladder before it really spirals (£15k will soon be nothing for an Vx HPC).

😳

*smile*

I have taken no offence by any comments, I know the car is a good one, I also know that for a caterham it is fairly high mileage (although for any other make 43k miles in 11 years is very little .... infact I am quite proud of the fact that it has been used .... just wish more of the miles had been mine).

Greg what different spec are you after .... how can I convince you? Especially now that you know it has an interesting history .... on which note it also has motorbike indicators on the nose cone, I am told that there were 3 made like this to get approval for the German market.

Geoff

Monkfish,

You sound like a Troll 😬

___________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:

'Whilst Greg has attempted to redeem himself with his last posting his view is based upon someone who is struggling to secure a perfect caterham for Westfield money'.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I offered a point of view based on the cars I have seen whilst looking for a car, my last post was to clarify my position, therefore I don't need to redeem myself.

Where have I stated I am looking for a 'perfect caterham for Westfield money'?

Money is not the issue, I have time to look for the right car but it also must be the right specification, the money is waiting!

Geoff, I have an ad in the Wanted section which I will send back to the top, I have a picture in my head of what I'm after unfortunately that includes an original cycle winged car.

Parky

Greg,

I can't do the original cycle wings but at £11,500 there should be change to make it wide track & cycle wings. As to the rest :-

Standard 175bhp on Carbs (45) - did have & then added the side exhaust

Cycle Wings - sorry

Limited Slip Diff - has got

B R Green + Yellow anniv stripe - Miami blue & anniv stripe .. far less common

Competition Exhaust (side mounted) - does have

Full Weather Gear - yup inc new hood

Big Brakes - sorry, but I do have green stuff pads similar performance less unsprung weight

Wide Track - sorry

FIA roll bar - yup, in yellow to match the stripe

Leather Seats - yup blue match the dash

Immobiliser - yup

Heater - yup

HPC 16" Wheels - yup & a spare set of minilights if you want them.

So how much to get the cycle wings & re-spray???

Geoff