Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Exhaust

Charles W

I am currently running a Supersport R with a standard road sport exhaust and looking to upgrade. I want to stick to authentic CC parts and was thinking about changing to an R500 type 4-1.

However, having read loads of threads there seems to be a debate over whether or not I will need to by a Cat as well (c.£450) in order to get through the MOT (despite having built the car myself).

My other concern is the noise level of this system. I want to be able to use it on trackdays and therefore the quieter 7" version my be better, but, my understanding from CC is that you cannot use a Cat with this system which in turn could cause me problems at MOT time.

Should I just keep my standard exhaust and save myself a lot of hassle and money?!!

Any views greatly appreciated

Thanks Charlie *confused*

Have you got a cat on your existing exhaust?

If so just hang on to your old exhaust and put it on for MOT

If not then you shouldn`t need a cat.

You only need a cat if the engine would have had a cat in the normal road car of that age.....

Not sure what the cutoff date for the K series was.

Have engine, diff and tacho.......need car

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

What month and year was your car registered ? , and which exhaust do you have at the moment ?.

If you have the Roadsport exhaust with the 4-1 outside of the body , then I realy dont think you will benifit from a R500 system . The flow capacity will be greater but this doesnt mean you will make more power without a rolling road re map session .

The R500 manifold also exits the body in a different position to the 4-1 competition exhaust so you would have to have a re skin *eek* or a big massive hole in the side of the car .

If you do wish to consdier an upgrade , then the Superlight R 4-2-1 system would be beificial , and it fits in the existing hole . I have just done this mod , and the midrange did improve . Again you realy need a mapping session to get the best from it .

Someone will be along in a moment to confirm which month and year requires a cat ( aug 98 I recall ???) I'm Oct 97 so dont give a stuff 😬

Dave

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 18 Feb 2004 14:11:16

Best bet is a SLR manifold and collector plus cat replacement pipe , and raceco can .

or if you wish to run a cat all year round , then a SLR cat and standard silencer .

Forget the R500/400/300 exhaust - it wont fit the hole in your body .

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*