Click here if you are having website access problems ×

quarter mile in R400

Flying kiwi

Fat Arn

I don’t think you can be described as standard in performance specification....

I remember a few years ago, I think it was Top Gear that lined a load of super cars up at the bottom of a runway. On paper the caterham had all the credentials, but it seemed to be left in the wake of many of the cars. I cannot explain that either.

I agree that over a 1/4 mile the R400 should take the M3, I learnt allot at Donnington last September following an R400 around for a few laps, it was being driven by a demonstration driver I believe, that was good for 125/130 on the straight.

I think the point I was trying to make is the M3 like many powerful saloons have lots of grunt once they are rolling.

Maybe the F40 was on a worm down lap!!!!!!! 😬 *thumbup*

Raced a mates modified latest model M5 down the main Runway at Brunters from a standing start and I completely destroyed him. Different league to be honest. He only came past me after I had hit the limiter in top, lifted off and dropped back to about a 100.

According to the spectators, off the line I had gone 30 odd yds by the time he had gone about 5!! 😬

edited to add SLR 267BHP. Not an R400.

Edited by - PeterSimpson on 12 Feb 2004 10:51:13

The Jezza Clarkson video with the supercars on a runway featured all the cars with pro racing drivers or test drivers. The only exception was the JPE which was owned by Stan Romaczek and he was driving. He had just had his gearbox replaced or rebuilt and didn't want to damage it. That is why he granny started and lost. The Cerbera in the race had a racing spec engine in it with loads of extra ponies under the bonnet that is why it was so quick (typical TVR trick).

Stan now owns the worlds most expensive Caterham with a 300 bhp SRE VX XE engine and lots of trick bits. It allegedly cost £70k+

Hi thanks for the correction, the 400ftlb of torque is what I run out of my Cosworth powered 7 @ 4000rpm, hence I said I learnt allot following an R400 around Dony being driven by a proper driver as apposed to me a (handful of events a year man).

I agree the R400 should out perform the 360, as the 360 does 0-60 in 4.2 sec and only runs about 275ftlb of torque. I would say after 100mph aerodynamics put the 360 firmly in front.

Very nice car though.

• 2 weeks later...

And after a very long break from the forum ...

I owned an M3 before buying my Blackbird last year. I once visited Santa Pod for an M3 owners' meeting and, just for a laugh, did a few runs down the 1/4 mile.

This was my first ever time on the drag strip and my best was 13.78sec (much better than the times quoted at the start of the thread). My car was 6-speed manual and (obviously) with DSC/TC switched off. Still battling wheelspin off the line so I'm sure I could have shaved some more time off easily enough (it was my first time at Santa Pod after all). Chaps in the US have achieved sub-13 1/4 miles in standard M3s (and their's are also slightly shy on power compared to ours).

Just thought I'd throw that in *smile*

Ian.

Well i run about 400bhp and 400ftlb of torque in my 7, I am probably going to run the Brighton trials this year, wife banned me from circuit stuff this year after near fatal accident last year, but I am doing the GoME to Africa this year *cool*

If I do the BST I am looking for a quick time, just fitted new turbo and remapped.. 😳

Looking for a set of slicks.

Getting the car off the line seems to be the difficult bit. Some caterhams actually do a better 0-60 with a passenger in as the extra weight helps with the traction off the line. if you have less power or stickier tyres then you can't get the wheels to spin so cunning use of the clutch is required - this off course fries the clutch pretty fast...

HOOPY R706KGU Hoopylight R