Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec - Duratec... differences?

Sean-og

Hello all. Just registered with the group. Not a Seven owner yet; never even sat in one, but that'll change soon. I only just found out it is now possible to register a Seven in California (as of 2002?). Due to the registration process (and my current financial state), I will probably not be able to get a Seven until around January 2005.

Anyway, it appears the standard engines available for use here are:

Crossflow 1.6

Crossflow 1.7

Zetec 2.0

Duratec 2.0

(more???)

As a newbie, I'm only in the researching and learning stage now. I'm wodering what are the differences between the Zetec and Duratec? The only difference I know of is the Zetec block is iron, and the Duratec block is ali. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

- Sean

Duratec v Zetec is a very popular debate ! Im sure there will be people giving their

views soon !

Anyway its great that you are heading for seven ownership ! I managed it this yr after lusting

after them for 20yrs ! Once you sit in one you wont be able to get the view down the bonnet out of your head !!!

They are just the most fun thing on four wheels !

Matt

1700 Supersprint, Red Loud and wearing Flares

Duratec is Ford`s latest engine developed by Cosworth and Mazda

It is all alloy so is much lighter than the zetec and with throttle body injection and a new ECU will give you approx 190bhp as opposed to the zetecs 165bhp for the same level of tune.

Looks like it should be easy to tune, there are already 250 and 280bhp versions out there.

I`v got one ready to go in my new Birkin when it arrives.........

Have engine.......need car

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

Anyone with any full range figures at fly wheel and wheels for the Zetec at about 230bhp. I am compiling a comparison of all the engines. It will only be published if the Duratec is best *wink* though 😬

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Duratec is currently Found in Ford Ranger Pick ups .. it is a Mazda engine.. despite claims . It will fit onto a RX7 or Miata box, for a vast improvement over the recycled Ford Sierra thing, as shift action is exquisite and the ratios are actually usefull inna seven

Duratec has decent power.. and it's all aluminum.. just like a Honda:-) except the Civic engine is more sophisticated.. not to mention better assembled..

Which brings up the possibilty of a Honda drivetrain.. seriously superior in all respects, and readily available in your part of the world

Hmmm, Honda, eh? They are readily available here, and cheap, too. More importantly, upgrade parts and expertise are also readily available here; far more so than with Ford products having less than eight cylinders (those wacky Yanks!). The tricky part would be that I would be going into largely uncharted territory. It's hard enough to find anybody here who knows what a Seven is, much less has enough experience with them to convince me that I can hammer through the inevitable obstacles of getting a Civic motor in there.

I'll have to explore this idea a little more thoroughly... In the mean time, has anyone seen a Seven w/ a Civic motor? If so, any specific advice? I wonder what, if any, unique obstacles might present themselves due to the U.S. Sevens being LHD?

Thanks!

- Sean

Sean

The Duratec (HE) is developed by Mazda originally. Cosworth (Racing Ltd) have only got involved in the last year or so. A Cosworth modified head has been developed based on the 2.3 head and will go on sale in the near future. There is also a Cosworth piston set plus rods,cams and inlet manifold coming. I think you'll find these Cosworth Duratec parts in the back of the Ford SVT catalogue which is available in the states soon.

With that kind of support it will be much easier to fit a Duratec than a Honda Civic.

Someone on this forum was trying to fit the Civic lump and it did just fit but the job never got finished. You can fit a Duratec with off the shelf parts from Raceline now (LHD has been done).

I think the Duratec will take over from the Zetec as Caterhams engine of choice for the the US. ("Zetec" will all but die out in the next year or so as other Ford models change engine.)

Bob

Since the S2000 Honda have changed there installations so that they now spin in the right direction. The Civic type R discussed above (K20 series) is such an example.

I've got a Japenese journal on my desk here which compares the new and old Civic Type R engines, nice pieces of kit. Crankshafts look particularly good (fully drilled with small bearing pins so good oil feed at high speed - unlike your R500 K series!)

Bob