Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Or Not To Zetec

Bafty Crastard

I currently run Ford Crossflow power, but now fine my self with the urge to go looking for more Zap, say 150/160 bhp. So here are some options:

1) Up-rate the crossflow, costs indicate £3,000.00 + Vat

2) Purchase new 2 ltr Zetec complete with 45's and all necessary bits £4,200.00 + Vat.

Obviously if I sell the crossflow option 2 becomes even more cost effective. Any opinions ?

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 10 Apr 2001 08:35:49

£4200 seems a bit steep. Is that for a turnkey solution all fitted etc.

The bits are more like £3000. For example a Dunnell new run in and dyno'd

engine kit complete Inc 45's and clutch assembly all ready to fit is less than £3000 I believe. I can't remember if that included the exhaust pipes and new collector..

Go the Zetec route.... for my money...

Go for the Zetec. I've had mine for a couple of years now (had a crossflow in the past) and it's a great engine. Mild head work and cams on 45's gives about 190-200 bhp. £4200 is a bit steep, I think my new short engine from ford was only about £500 ish ?. If you only want 150-160 bhp a bog standard engine will give that easy with loads more to come.

Most people know my views on this one by now. Definitely, definitely go Zetec if you want to keep the same car, the difference is just astounding. Price depends largely on whether or not you buy new or secondhand. The latter route should see the price come in at just over £3k.

Brent smile.gif

Full Zetec power on an Ital will be a problem.

A well baffled one will last if used with some consideration and with one 160 bhp by all accounts.

The bike option depends on what you want. If it's mostly track then bike yes. The other way around then Zetec for a fast cruising more relaxed type of sevening....

As good as some of the engine builders are (Roger King etc..) - there's no way I throw good money after bad with the x-flow.

Went Zetec last summer and haven't looked back. Spent probably around the 4k mark, but this included a very late 2.0ltr lump (which involved some custom fabrication of brackets the alternator and for reversing the flow of the water pump) and Raceline's sump.

As with any of these projects, you can't see where all your money will go before your'e committed to spending it - but do it anyway.

FWIW - i'm running my old 40's, and the car runs really sweet!

Nigel Abbott

I run my Zetec with 192 Bhp on an Ital axle, albeit very carefully! I just need to feed the power in smoothly in order to prevent the usual Ital axle problems. I am aware, however, that a Ford axle is probably on the cards at some future time, but nonetheless I would still stay with the Zetec.

I've just finished building a Classic with a 1999 2l Zetec on 45DCOE webers, and a Ford axle. It appears that Ford made some changes to the head design when they introduced the post 5/98 engines, as mine produced around 170bhp on a rolling road with std cams. The installation was more problematic though as James Whiting and Raceline hadn't really geared up for the later engines

Regards,

Charles Eaton-Hennah

The cost indicated of £4,200.00 was from Dunnell, this comprised a new Ford supplied engine modified by Dunnell to 160 bhp, run-in on the dyno, comes complete with 45's, low line sump, wiring loom, ECU, collector pipes, engine mounts and alternater kit, a complete 7even drop in kit.

Additionaly, Dunnell state as part of the initial build they complete all the necessary work to enable the engine to be modified at a later date to 190 bhp whilst still in the car.

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 12 Apr 2001 08:29:54

Dunnells are good - they've some lovely engineering - but all that comes at a cost! I was at James Whiting's this week and we got chatting about my next upgrade (to on or around 190bhp mark). He remarked (but would never quote officially!) that he's seen several BOG STANDARD 2.0ltr lumps, running fast road Kent cams (approx 300 quid) with twin 45's that have broken 200bhp!

This is without any 'internal work', gas flowing, porting etc..

So my advice would be wary of people trying to suck cash out of your wallet - I know (from personal experience) how tempting it is when faced with the smell of newly machined 'shiney bits' - to sell various parts of your anatomy. Save some cash and instead upgrade the front brakes - you'll need better anchors when that new engine is running!

Nigel Abbott

To answer the moderate clam...

A K weighs in at 68Kg without the exhaust or any induction fitted.

A crossflow is MUCH heavier, and a Zetec is heavier than a crossflow.

Remember the K is all alloy, whilst only the head on the Zetec is alloy. The block is much beefier than the crossflow so that's where all the extra weight comes from.

Bafty,

go for the Zetec. I fitted an 1.8 first and then swapped for a 2ltr. A low milage second hand one can be bought for around £500

and will produce around 160hp with good torque to match. Don't know what dunnel do to their engines but i've fitted a pair of kent cams - following James Whitings advice, and had the head ported and fitted stronger rod bolts, its producing well over 200hp. You won't regret going for a Zetec.

Why didn't Caterham ever offer the Zetec as an option. Is there any truth in the rumour that the Zetec engine is subject to a lot of vibration. Does fitting a non standard engine, effect re-sale value.

Robert

The early Zetecs were said to suffer from some harshness but that was pretty soon eliminated by Ford. By that time, however, Caterham had already committed themselves to the 'K' series.

Although you can't part-ex. a Zetec car to Caterham my own feelings, having looked at private sales over the last couple of years, is that cars so fitted aren't compromised pricewise on the private sales sector. When all is said and done the Zetec is eminently suited to the 7 and is a very desirable car on the 2nd hand market.

Brent

This is very intersting as I currently run a x/flow (165bhp) on a short cockpit live axle. I am concered about going Zetec and leaving my axle on the side of the track after a few corners !!

Given the extra weight of the engine, has anybody suffered extreme understeer after moving to Zetec from x/flow ?

Regards

John

This is very intersting as I currently run a x/flow (165bhp) on a short cockpit live axle. I am concered about going Zetec and leaving my axle on the side of the track after a few corners !!

Given the extra weight of the engine, has anybody suffered extreme understeer after moving to Zetec from x/flow ?

Regards

John

Understeer can be dialed out. My Vx is said to be heavy but does not suffer understeer.

The interesting thing is that the Zetec lump goes in exactly where the XF lump came

out. Whereas the VX lump is mounted aft by quite a long way.

Does anybody know the true weight of the 2.0l Zetec. i.e all up. Manifold, carbs,

flywheel and clutch assembly ignition and all?

I would like to compare it with my Vx.