Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aeroscreen Cracked !!!!

Peter T

Having just changed from a brooklands screen to an aeroscreen set up, having taken 4 hrs plus to make sure that it is all lined up i carried on to fit my carbon spa mirrors, as most people know there is a grub screw that can only be tightened fron behind the bracket, upon installing the drivers side there was no problem, but the pasenger side was a differet matter, same again , then without any warning the screen split. What a complete waste of money !!!!!

Maybe it was to cold in my garage and the material could not coupe *mad*

So there goes £100 *mad* *mad* *mad*

Think i will revert back to Brooklands *idea*

Riding Donkey's, in Search of Ponies.!

Peter - I can beat that - at least you fitted it!!

Tessa and I were very kindly given a Brooklands screen set up by a fellow Blatchatter (got to do a couple of cartoons for the chap) last summer. We collected them and got home. I opened the garage door, placed the complete stanchion/glass screens/mirror set up onthe floor of the garage - very carefully - upright (as if they were on the car, but ont he floor if you see what I mean) and turned to go back out to the car. On doing so, my foot caught the stanchion, and the whole thing fell over (all of 6 inches) - the top of the passenger side glass screen touched concrete first, and promptly cracked. Ihad not even fitted them to the screen.

Next 3 months explaining to everyone who asked (everyone) how it had got cracked...

"......well, as I was overtaking around the outside of Paddock Hill bend, a stone was flicked up by the slicks on the GT3 I was passing........" *mad*

NEW pictures posted

here

50,000miles in 2 years

I didn't fancy mounting my SPAs on the screen itself (that'll be three closely spaced holes if you do the grub-screw adjustment route) - so I ended up drilling into the shoulder of the scuttle and fitting rivnuts...

There's always a risk that you'll bang against the mirror at some point - so cracking the screen isn't that unlikely anyway (and, erm, yes - I'm aware that my scuttle is now somewhat at risk instead...)

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Sorry to hear the bad news Peter,

Could someone explain in more details the problem or take some pictures for me. As I am making a carbon aeroscreen and don't want any customers to have any problems, I am interested to see what this problem really is about.

Gather it is a GRP version, the one I have seen is almost unbreakable *confused* Is this just a gel coat crack or is the aeroscreen very flimsy?

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Richard, the problem is that where the mirrors attatch the screen is still curved, and the brackets are flat and so when you tighten them they distort the perspex, being very cold last night i think this had some bearing on why it gave. They are very weak when cold and i had to bond all the mounting lugs back on also, maybe the glue they use is not very strong *confused*

Franckly at almost £100 i think they are cheap rubbish and certainly not up to the job, why does perspex cost this? I am going to ring a plastic supplier on monday to cost the amount *idea*

Can you please hurry up and make one in carbon that does not cost the earth. *thumbup*

I will take some pictures and post them Monday morning.

Riding Donkey's, in Search of Ponies.!

I am getting there *wink* hope that this week will have a carbon one finished 😬 and at about the same price 😬. I think that for perspex £100 is rediculous 😳

Michael, glad you like my pictures

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Are the mirrors.

I used rubber pads, cut from black rubber sheet. Vibration free but a little soft.

Some prat walked into the mirror when looking at my car too closely at Lydden and put a little crack in the perspex. Nothing to worry about and it's not got worse.

You could always glue and cover with black fablon to hide the crack / glue.

I figured on doing this once the screen gets too mankie. It's looking a little battered after 1.5 seasons campaigning.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here