Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4k supersport - performance mods ?

Racingshoe

• Leadership Team

Andy Richards has rightfully pointed out that the later Rover 1400 engines are suitable for swapping the liners etc, although AFAIK none of these are fitted to Caterhams - I'm not sure it would make sense to source one of these units *confused*

Tom - YHM

Stu.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Novice mechanic has been reading your chat on upgrading 1.4 ss with interest. Keen to upgrade but totally inept and am all thumbs etc. Any idea how much it would cost me to leap to dizzy heights of 1.8 by getting someone to do the upgrade for me.

Throwing money at the problem seems to be the only way I might do this a little bit cheaper than buying from scratch. Any sensible comments or otherwise most welcome!

Andlef,

Let me know if you find someone to do this for you economically. Phoning around I met a fair bit of resistance to this type of conversion (people were generally happier to do a complete engine transplant) and I was looking at >2K all in (engine, clutch, flywheel etc...) rather than my budget of £1300.

I did find somebody with a good reputation prepared to do it for me in November but it fell through at the last minute. Might be able to resurrect that deal in spring. I'll let you know if it does happen and he's interested in doing another.

Dave.

Stu,

Thanks again for the document *thumbup*. Did you have to change the wiring loom to add the DTHTBs and Emerald or could you use your existing 1400 one? I've got a 1.4ss 1993 class C racer, would it be relatively straight forwards to go from this to an 1800 with emerald and TBs with regard to wiring etc etc? i.e. could I leave the electrics alone? Not sure why I am worried about this, seem to remember reading it could be a potential pain in the @rse to sort out?

Also, did you find you had to get your LSDiff (I assume you have one too?) uprated to cope with the extra grunt compared with the 1400?

cheers again for you help *thumbup*

OIi

• Leadership Team

Oli,

Emerald fitted fine - although I've now unwrappred the loom around the multi pin plug and rewrapped it in a shape suitable to connect the Emerald more tidily *wink* Mounting the Emerald in the car was actually the most painstaking part of the whole exercise - no, mines not cable tied to the MEMS! In the M3DK configuration settings, the unit can be set for any one of many crank sensor input combinations - mine's set to the "36/2 Rover" input (rather than the 36/4 for "real" 1800s) therefore it becomes a direct replacement for the 1400 MEMS. All othere pins to the various MEMS are the same.

The small wiring loom to the injectors needs modifying slightly. The MEMS has 4 outputs, 1 to each injector, but the M3DK has only 2. It is necessary to link 1&4 wires, and 2&3 wires together, otherwise there will be no signal to injectors 3 and 4. In the old setup 1&4, and 2&3 fire together anyway because the MEMS doesn't know which piston is on the compression stroke - no cam sensor. Oddly enough the engine ran fine afterwards on the MEMS with the new wiring - I'd initially wired in a switch to facilitate either ECU! Definately not in the class of pain in the @rse to sort out *thumbup*

Still running the same LSD - I hadn't even considered it would be a problem. As far as I'm aware the same units has been used for all engine sizes 🤔

Stu.