Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's the best way to upgrade a 1.6SS

Richard_E

As I think happens to everybody with a seven I am looking for an engine upgrade. I have a 1.6 SS, but with 2 people up the engine loses its vigour due to the extra weight. What is the best way to upgrade the engine without going on a diet. I have read in other threads that people need more from 50-90 and I tend to agree with this. I would like more top end but do not want to lose the drivability around town etc. I know I am asking alot but you input is welcome.

I think the accepted wisdon is dump the SS bits, and buy throttle bodies, mapable ECU and new cams. Then the next stage is ported head

the best place for K sereis tuning is Dave andrews web site at

http://hometown.aol.com/DVAndrews/kengine.htm

i know of 1 1.6 that gives out close to 190 BHP that dave fettled

(how do you get the link active in the message?)

Rob

sorry to butt in but ...

I'm looking to go this way - seems crazy to hang onto the SuperSport bits when they could fund the upgrade. But how much are they worth to someone ? Can anyone give me a rough market rate, it would help sell it to the finance dept. - they've seen 3500 miles.

cheers

Sid

Richard - it really depends how much extra poke you want, and how much of the work you'll be able to do yourself.

Dave Andrews site is THE best resource for K series tuning available so an absolute must see site if you're considering upgrades. Also tune into the mailing list on se7ens.net (you can just read the archives to cut down on mail traffic). Lots of upgraditis exhibited on there.

BUT, if you have to get much of the work done for you and aren't starting with a Superlight type car then you may be better off (financially and spec wise) trading the car in against a used SLR.

Then again, finding one of the exact spec, colour etc. may prove difficult.

I did the upgrade thing last year so if you want more specifics, drop me a mail and I can let you have prices etc. for pretty much everything you may (or may not!) want. Plus some dos and don'ts!

Graham's idea may also be sensible, but I'm not sure that the Exige engine uses the "normal" VHPD ECU or induction setup (I have some recollection that they're specific to the Exige) so it might be a bit of a headache getting it up and running in a Caterham.

Sid - I've seen used Supersports kits advertised for about 500 quid in the past - not sure if they sold at this level though as there isn't always a market for them...if it's anything like mine a good holiday, promises of curtains etc. usually appeases the Finance Dept.

C7 AJM

Richard,

I think the answer to your question is 'Carefully after due consideration.

I have carried out the TB/ECU upgrade using dta/QED and Jenvey bits. It has taken about 3 months from start to finish over the winter and was not easy. I am a working mechanical engineer who served an apprenticeship and built my original 1600SS kit, so I enjoy the work. But I found the stripping and re-building of the engine loom tricky. I had several attempts in getting the brackets holding fuel pressure valve and new coil to my satisfaction. It was not easy.

The result is a marked increase in top end power but the real question is "Was the £2000+ wisely spent or would I have got more pleasure out of using the money in several overseas track trips etc which is what ownership is all about. I think the jury is still out but I do get a lot of satisfaction from the work I did, if that does not interest you then I think the 1600SS is an exciting and well calibrated car that can go round tracks faster than most of its drivers in its original form. Think long and hard before changing it to a less optimised less subtle albeit more powerful car.

Hi Tony,

I'm also thinking in doing that job, and as far as I remember, you

mentionned that you have written something like a report or a guide with

pictures you could share with evrybody interested.

Is still the case? I would be very happy if I could have a look on your stuff just to see how hard it is and if I would be able to do the job by myself.

Thanks,

Robert.

I've done loads of research on this, and whilst I'm sure Simon will disagree with me, the best upgrade I have found for the 1.6 SS is to sell it and buy a SLR.

Problem is the additional costs involved in tuning the 1.6, rapidly become uneconomic when compared to buying a used SLR. If you are intersted in doing the work yourself, then go the TB, cams, ECU route. If you just want a well sorted, more powerful car, save your money and buy a SLR.

Nick

There was a thread recently that had a posting or two remarking that an otherwise standard 1.6SS (I think!!!) had the MEMS unit swapped for an Emerald M3DK, and showed an increase of 10 to 12 bhp, IIRC. This was at the (not so) recent Emerald rolling road day, so the tests were close together, and under the same conditions except for the ecu swap.

Mind you, my memory isn't what it should be, so try a search on the archive from the link at the top of the page. The answers are all on here..............somewhere............

Edited by - mark.hall on 18 Mar 2001 11:34:57

This was an 1800 standard K series not a 1600 supersport

was Roy Booths (W111 FLY) caterham, I think he was quite happy at this not surprisingly, also sorted out some other issues he had

rob

Edited by - robmar on 19 Mar 2001 11:02:22