Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series Gall stones

Tony C

Just removed my 1.8 K-Series sump for the 12000 mile sump foam baffle check and found six stones in the bottom of the sump - the smallest a mere speck, but the largest about half the size of a match head. How in the hell did they get in there? Anybody else had this experience?

By the way, what am I supposed to be checking the sump foam baffle for?

Is it there? Yes

Is it dark coloured? Yes - The new one I have is pale yellow.

How often are they supposed to be changed?

I guess that while I've got it off I might as well change it.

BRG Brooklands Aero Screen SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Thanks guys 😬

Having now removed the baffle plate and foam I'm certain I want to change it. It's bady discoloured and a lot less flexible than the new one.

What a NASTY piece of engineering 🙆🏻

I was debating with myself whether to fit the Pace dry sump system I bought months ago and considered selling it as not being really necessary for road use, but have now decided to fit it as soon as I get the hoses and fittings - just to get rid of the foam baffle.

BRG Brooklands Aero Screen SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Tony, I found a surprising amount of cr@p when I took my sump off (even though it had done no miles since I changed the oil.

Like you say, they look like little stones and you don't really want to think of them going through the engine. I also found some very fine bits of sponge, particularly in the oil pick up pipe, so it definitely is worth having the sump off at regular intervals to clean it out and replace the sponge.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon.

Even more fell out when I removed the gasket. I guess they must have been in the casting "sand"; it's the only way I can conceive of them entering the engine.

All done now and nearly ready for the new oil after I've found the sump bolt torque and tightening order 😬

tightening order is so that you don't stress the sump - its ali and so fairly soft so you start in the middle and work out in an expnading X pattern eg

10 6 1 3 7

8 4 2 5 9

the torque will prolly be about 10-15 ft lbs - its never very high for going to into ali - must admit i go for the "feel right" method with the sump..

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

• 10 months later...

Just dropped the sump at 24000 miles and bu**er me, there's more stones in the sump.

I'm at last fitting the dry sump and don't like the thought of any further stones finding their way into the dry sump pump *eek* Have to check to see if there are strainers in the suction pipes - anyone know?

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm hoping that the new soon to be released sump baffle system will also allow us to dispose of the current baffle plate and foam insert .

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Any ideas of what this will be ? Ive just done a sump baffle change and was pretty dissapointed with the engineering of this item.

It will be an insert to your present wet sump pan .

The present windage plate will also be replaced with a new design and we are looking to get rid of the horrid foam .

Dont have a price yet as its still in development - give us a few weeks and full details will be released *thumbup*

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOPhere *tongue*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 6 Aug 2004 10:19:10

I found nothing but a slightly chewed M8 nut in my foam baffle 😳. This was slightly worrying but upto then and ever since = 3 years the old VX XE has run without the slightless problem, TOUCH WOOD! 😳

The baffle was as new. Not inflexible or crumbly.

I DS'd and that solved all that baffle hassle.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 7 Aug 2004 15:44:32